• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

thermal switched fan?

Cutlass327

May 1, 2016
NE Ohio
I have an amp I put an old brushless computer ps fan on, but want to make it thermally switched. I found some thermal switches online, was thinking to use thermal conductor tape to attach it.

Would you put that right on a pill, or on the external heat sink?

Is 45*C sufficient?

Let me know which one you use I was looking at some of these the other day.

I was thinking these switches and this tape.
Screenshot_2020-04-27-14-18-35.png

Reactions: Cam Tetzlaff
Instead of a thermal switch for fan to kick on.. Just put a temp probe with meter to see how actually hot its getting.... I did this with a small two pill... Works great

I have a schematic that has a variable speed control. If you know how bread board circuits I set the schematic up.
It would be neat if the variable could be controlled by the temperature. So the hotter it gets, the faster the fans goes.

Or maybe a user set low speed to stay relatively quiet and then a temperature switch to kick it into full blast to let the user know to give the amp a break.

Ideally, you need a switch that closes (turns the fan on) at about 115*.
And then opens (turns fan off) at 100* or less.
I just ordered about a month ago about a dozen Therm-O-Disc 36T switches with a temperature range of 113* close, about 88* open.
That is IF, you do not want the fan running full time .......

Last edited:
It would be neat if the variable could be controlled by the temperature. So the hotter it gets, the faster the fans goes.

Or maybe a user set low speed to stay relatively quiet and then a temperature switch to kick it into full blast to let the user know to give the amp a break.
That is how it works, Hotter=Faster.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.