• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Think I got a good deal on this.

Galaxy 959

Feb 2, 2014
Arkansas
10257189_10152798021939129_4042620319827754387_n.jpg

Uniden Pro 510XL and a K40 and 2 little wills. $30 Gonna put it in my truck for loacal. I've never used a K40 or a little will. Are they any good?

Reactions: 1 person

The K40 would be the best choice, IMO except it is a trunk mount, and looks pretty rough, I would give EVERYTHING a good cleaning, and even some de-oxit spray for the controls in the radio. The lil wil aren't bad, but nothing great at all. K40 is my first choice. But who knows, clean it all up, test it out. For 30.00 you might have a good little mobile portable set up after putting a little effort which costs nothing but time into it.

ONE MORE THING! I JUST LOOKED AT THE MIC IN THE PIC. This is *important*! A lot of people don't know that the 510 and 510 radios use an electret condensor mic. This is important because if you put a common, typical dynamic mic on it, it can hurt the element because of the voltage on the audio pin, and will ALWAYS sound horrible, low, muffled audio. The worst is when someone tries to wire up a noise canceling mic like a 636L or RK56 to one of these. SO make sure that mic pictured is NOT a dynamic and is an electret one. If not, you will need either an original electret mic for it, or an amplified mic for it to sound right on transmit.

Last edited:
I ran a Lil' Will and Uniden Pro 520XL in my Mustang for years with a little two pill. The thing worked great, and the best I ever did locally was a guy that was 50 miles away. It was at night, and conditions were great. You got a great deal if the rig works.

RT307

Well I picked this stuff up yesterday. The radio works awesome. I got it hooked up in my house to my antron 99. Man what a talker for such a small radio. It dead keys at 2.5w and swings to around 8-10w. Havent tested the 2 little wil's yet or the K40. The K-40 looks kinda rough but I still got a awesome deal. Nice little mobile setup.

ive used both antenns before too. the k40 is a good antenna ,but i think
you,ll have to find a magnet mount for it. unless thats a roof mount not sure.
the lil wil is ok ...for a short antenna. im sure the k40 will work better.
if ya use a lil will id use the nicer looking one but thts just me.
claysradioshop.com has a magnet for 30.00 bucks for the k40

Reactions: 1 person
How do you get rid of motor noise? Had same problem with the cobra handheld hooked to the k-30. Its fine as long as the engine and key is off.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?