• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking End Fed

The wife and I were in a private park and she saw these big rocks piled in a semicircle around a picnic table and benches and she asked what are those for? I pointed at sign nearby (Rock Garden) those are the seeds for the Rock Garden. It took a second for her to realize what had just happened. I can't repeat what she said but assume it was a victory for me.

I got the My antennas EFHW 1080 up in the air yesterday. I hung it in a Inverted V. Feedpoint is 9 ft off the ground going to a tree branch at 30 ft then to a post in my field at 9 ft above ground. Both sides are about the same at 70 ft long.
It works as advertised. 80 meters I can only tune from 3.800 to 3.891 with my Icon 7300. I was able to make good contacts on 80,and 40. Not much happening on 20.
SWR is flat on 10,12.15,17,20, and 40m. It would be nice to get more out of 80m, but I'm real happy with it.
Happy, Happy, Happy. After 6 years I'm finally on HF, and I can now say I have a real Station.

Happy New Year's 73

I got the My antennas EFHW 1080 up in the air yesterday. I hung it in a Inverted V. Feedpoint is 9 ft off the ground going to a tree branch at 30 ft then to a post in my field at 9 ft above ground. Both sides are about the same at 70 ft long... edit...

Good that you are happy with the 1080.

I'm a little confused, is the overall length 140 feet and its being fed in the center?

Reactions: fogdog and binrat
139 ft long. End Fed. Coax from your radio goes into the magic box using standard PL-259. From the box comes a wire 139 feet long with a insulator on the end of the termation point.
Basically a long wire attached to a box.
Clear as mud yet? I'll take a picture today and post it. I'm still,cleaning up from the 4 hour ordeal in freezing weather. Jeez, I thought this would be easy. NOT!

Good that you are happy with the 1080.

I'm a little confused, is the overall length 140 feet and its being fed in the center?
1226181516_HDR.jpg
1226181148a_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Oatmeal and L2
Just an update on my efhw 1080, this thing rocks. I've made many contacts on the band's that are active like 75, 40, and 20. I get 59's all day long. Yes I also get some 57's and 8's but I expect that. I've been in long QSO'S and it hangs in there with no problems. In fact if I can here you I will probably be able to work you.
I hung my antenna thinking I was going with an inverted V, but as it turns out 1/2 of the 139' is almost horizontal (6° up), and the other 70' is at approximately 45° down slope. I looked at this setup yesterday and my OCD almost made me take it down and re position it to either a true inverted V or flat top. Then I reeled my thoughts in, and said why would I do that if it ain't broke. I left it alone, and continued to make long distant contacts throughout the U.S. this antenna just plane works. I'm not touching it. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. There is some stray RF, but it only happened when I was learning the ropes on how to use a internal tuner. I keyed up a few times on the very edge of the upper 75m band where my SWR was above 3.0, and that's when it lit up a lightbulb in our China cabinet. Since I now understand how the tuner works, the problem,so far has not happened again. I also thought my SWR meter on the radio went out yesterday, because I was on 20m USB and the SWR was so flat it wouldn't even register. Checked it with an external meter, and it wouldn't even move. I've never seen a flatter signal on any radio or antenna system I've ever owned. In fact it's the same reading on most of 75 m, all of 40, and 20m. To say that I am totally pleased is a Big understatement.

The wife and I were in a private park and she saw these big rocks piled in a semicircle around a picnic table and benches and she asked what are those for? I pointed at sign nearby (Rock Garden) those are the seeds for the Rock Garden. It took a second for her to realize what had just happened. I can't repeat what she said but assume it was a victory for me.

Only a long married man can pull off the EXACT tone of voice and PERFECTLY straight face necessary. (And count down the seconds).

Wisdom, thy visage is nonchalance.

The end fed's I have is the 8010hp models, both are 130ft long, both the same just little different, the differences is one has a vent in the side and the other one don't, seems to be all I see anyways, but anyways, the one I had up I used the tuner inside my 450d and tuned the bands on all of them except for 75m band had to use the ext tuner for that, and now a days there is a mod for this, I haven't done it to mine yet but Steve says it works well......at the present time I don't have either one in the air, my neighbor cut the tree down I was using, in which I was experimenting with it, the direction the tail of the end fed is in, it will favor that direction the most, and I had mine in the NE...

Down through the years running this end fed I did have some RF issues in the shack, mostly with the computer speakers I was using, but nothing a coax choke wouldn't take care of and a little more grounding, corrected all of this, so far the one I have has worked very well, worked alot of good Dx with it as well, and yes I would recommend buying one of these, have experimented with the one I have for a couple years now, so far what I have seen and how well it works, I plan on running this for awhile...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.