• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking End Fed

Looking at your QTH, I would be inclined to set-up a fan dipole in those trees with a weight on the end to keep it tight but flex at the sametime. Flattop with a 1:1 balun, inverted V no balun.
I use a 58'/13' antenna straight into my KX2 with a height of about 12' at the highest point that works. Oh, I should say that this is on top of a mountain, so I have some good height of sorts.
What bands are you tuned for? Tuner? Internal or external.

Beast of a wire antenna Kop'r the Lazy H...mine is Horizontal at 45 ft...essentially 2 dipoles fed 180 degs out of phase with 34 ft. spacing...You've heard it...Works damn good!
80/40/20/17 meters tuned with my Double "L" tuner...it amazes me sometimes just how well it works...If I had his trees...look out!

Reactions: Oatmeal and BenMara
And that big open space...what a great place for 2 or 3 beverage listening antennas!!!
But with 2 acres here...I think I do pretty fair...for what I have invested … I saved plenty of scrap wire, 37+ years as a old wire twister...I can do fairly well.

Reactions: hillbilly101
I know you're talking 1/2 wave center fed dipoles and this is true in that aspect. If the op ever gets into a doublet it may not be. Say an 80m doublet used on 40m. A pair of half wave wires in phase would have high voltage and low current at the feedpoint.

If he can hang a diople in the woods a doublet is not out of the question. He will even have gain on the higher frequencies. Way more pros than cons. If he was local and interested I'd help him build the tuner and show him how to use it.

Yes I agree. Some people do not know he difference between a dipole and a doublet. I ran a doublet for a couple years. Fed it thru a Yaesu FC-40 auto tuner outside the house then into a home made 1:1 choke then 450 ohm ladder line. Centre was at 62 feet. I had to alter leg length as well as feedline length so I could use both 20m and 80m. For some reason I could use 10,15,20, and 40m or 10,15, 40, and 80m but getting both 20 and 80m to present something the tuner could handle was a bitch.

but getting both 20 and 80m to present something the tuner could handle was a bitch.

been there:confused:
Haven't had the time or space to go back to it but now I think it was needing to avoid feed line multiples of a half wave @ frequency...
Then again it could have been aliens

Yes I agree. Some people do not know he difference between a dipole and a doublet. I ran a doublet for a couple years. Fed it thru a Yaesu FC-40 auto tuner outside the house then into a home made 1:1 choke then 450 ohm ladder line. Centre was at 62 feet. I had to alter leg length as well as feedline length so I could use both 20m and 80m. For some reason I could use 10,15,20, and 40m or 10,15, 40, and 80m but getting both 20 and 80m to present something the tuner could handle was a bitch.

Thats where the home made balanced tuner shines. On 20 and 40 meters my tuner has to deal with high voltage that most store bought jobs wouldn't handle. Feeding a half wave antenna with close to 1/4 wave of feedline on 40 You know the math on 20m. The good part it no tuner needed on 17m and parts of 6m. The tuner in the radio is all I need for 30m.

I've worked 160 thru 6 with that antenna. It's a 1/4 wave doublet on 80m and 1/8 wave on 160. The fact that people can hear me well on 160 was a surprise. Only about 4kc of bandwidth without having to retune...gear reduction motors are great.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Thats where the home made balanced tuner shines. On 20 and 40 meters my tuner has to deal with high voltage that most store bought jobs wouldn't handle. Feeding a half wave antenna with close to 1/4 wave of feedline on 40 You know the math on 20m. The good part it no tuner needed on 17m and parts of 6m. The tuner in the radio is all I need for 30m.

I've worked 160 thru 6 with that antenna. It's a 1/4 wave doublet on 80m and 1/8 wave on 160. The fact that people can hear me well on 160 was a surprise. Only about 4kc of bandwidth without having to retune...gear reduction motors are great.

Yeah I was in a pinch for antennas and settled for what I could get using what I had. I bought the tuner several years prior and used it mobile so I figured WTF.....put it to use. The shack is at the opposite end of the house from the tower so running coax cable to a remote tuner made sense. Now I am using a ground mounted Hustler 5BTV + 17m over 36 radials 33 feet long. If my knee will allow me another trip or three up the tower this summer the yagis will be up and no worries about weird feedline impedances or compromise antennas.

Drake_MN2700_Inside.jpg
Pi-L and easy to use.

want the real meat?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...-lcalcv5.xls&usg=AOvVaw12zzx9-_VFcfoRE7SUsxye

Attachments

• MN2700.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 258
Be sure to put down the pre--emergence weed killer so you don't end up with a bunch of magmounts popping up all over the place! And only fertilize in the spring.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated