• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thinking of HAM

Mongoose

Mar 11, 2009
Warren, Michigan
I was throwing aroud the thought of taking the test for technician. Providing I pass will I still be able to talk on 11 meter or will I have to give it up. I really don't want to give up CB if I don't have to.

Thanks

You just have to be a bit more careful how you operate if people know you're a ham. You are more accountable as a ham as you've been tested to understand regulations and proper operation. I would recommend you not tell people you are a ham on the CB band. You can get people making false complaints against your license just for fun.

Reality...the FCC sucks and they don't enforce anywhere near what they should so in the end it doesn't matter much.

I would keep the ham ticket under my hat on 11 meters only because it could generate unwanted animosity with those you communicate with on that band.
And for the same reasons I'd keep my CB activities to myself while operating on the ham bands as you will no doubt encounter a few arrogant ham's with the anti CB attitude.....

It's too bad the two can not seem to coexist on the air waves like we manage to do here at WWRF, but it is the cold hard reality of hobby radio.....

I would keep the ham ticket under my hat on 11 meters only because it could generate unwanted animosity with those you communicate with on that band.
And for the same reasons I'd keep my CB activities to myself while operating on the ham bands as you will no doubt encounter a few arrogant ham's with the anti CB attitude.....

It's too bad the two can not seem to coexist on the air waves like we manage to do here at WWRF, but it is the cold hard reality of hobby radio.....

I just had words a few weeks ago with another (older) ham, and experienced first hand the anti-CB, ham attitude. I and another ham was on 75 meters experimenting with different microphones, giving each other signal reports, and yes we were playing around a little and having a good time. We were on a frequency that both of us use quite often and is very popular in the evening with a large group of ops, but since no one was using it at the time and it was 5:00 in the afternoon, who were we bothering. Now mind you I have never told anyone I use 11 meters or ever talked there. Anyway, this guy (the one who likes to pretend that he owns the frequency) came in and told us, and I quote "Take that crap to 27 megs, you guys sound like a bunch of CBer's" I asked him if he had ever used 11 meters, he said "not since the 50's." I asked if he has ever listened to CB? He answered No. Then I asked him, then how does he know that we sound like a bunch of CB'ers? He had no answer and just proceeded to be "The Whiner Without a Cause". What an A**hole.

I have not been back to the frequency since. Lately, the frequency has been sounding worse than anything I normally hear on CB, a lot of off color, sexually based jokes, political ranting, and racisim. Now don't get me wrong, there are few good guys there, but the frequency master and his few butt kissers have really turned me off to rag chewing on Ham radio.

One of my good CB friends has moved about 20 miles from my house. He has gotten me interested in the CB again, beyond just having a mobile in the car. I still have some of my old CB base gear, so I am going to put up an 11 meter antenna at the house soon. I can already reach his base from my car parked at my house, should be fun once I get the base antenna up.

I was throwing aroud the thought of taking the test for technician. Providing I pass will I still be able to talk on 11 meter or will I have to give it up. I really don't want to give up CB if I don't have to.

Thanks
:love: naw, you most definately would not have to give up thee olde Charlie Bravo band. And i thought this post was about some hot honey roasted ham ...maybe on a roll:LOL:

screw em. I tell people on Ham I came from CB. If they are not ok with that - I don't want to talk with them anyway.

Most HAM's today did come from CB, some are proud of the fact that CB was their stepping stone to HAM, myself included, yet some folks have an authority issue. Much like the cop wanna-be that becomes a shopping mall security guard and thinks he's Dirty Harry, some folks who become HAM's tend to forget where they came from....."CB"....and act like they are God's gift to the radio hobbies because they happen to be good with a pencil at test time.

People are people, some good, some bad, and some just plain ugly, doesn't matter if it's CB, HAM, or anything else people do, you'll always get your good guys mixed in with a bunch of dickheads.......it is what it is.......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.