• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thirteen Colonies Special Event Stations

I like these events, small enough it doesnt crowd the bands but big enough you can get on many of the bands and make a contact.

I am not a huge fan of contesting, but I will get out there for the fun of seeing where I talked to today :)

This from the site-

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All HF bands will be in play except the WARC bands and 60 meters. The Colony stations will be operating on or near the"13" of each band (Eg.14.213, 14.013,14.313, 7.213, 7.013, etc.). 2 meters and 6 meter simplex are encouraged.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The SE stations are on the east coast and, are very close to each other. It will be harder for these states to contact each other so, use of 40m-160m is encouraged.[/FONT]

Thats pretty cool, been hearing alot of the stations on the FM Birds and made a few contacts. I didnt even know this was going on until I heard the special event call's.

However I do have an issue with the certificate on the web site, I find it a bit disheartening that they are using the Purple Heart Medal on the certificates. Being in the US Army for the last 30 years and having numerous combat tours the Purple Heart is awarded to those soldiers who have been wounded by direct enemy contact, many posthumously. I have several friends who have received the Purple Heart and I hate seeing it used on an award for making a QSO.

Just my opinion ..

Thats pretty cool, been hearing alot of the stations on the FM Birds and made a few contacts. I didnt even know this was going on until I heard the special event call's.

However I do have an issue with the certificate on the web site, I find it a bit disheartening that they are using the Purple Heart Medal on the certificates. Being in the US Army for the last 30 years and having numerous combat tours the Purple Heart is awarded to those soldiers who have been wounded by direct enemy contact, many posthumously. I have several friends who have received the Purple Heart and I hate seeing it used on an award for making a QSO.

Just my opinion ..

Send them an email addressing your concerns, you and your fellow soldiers' opinions should be listened to and taken into consideration.

I did send them an e-mail but I guess it fell on deaf ears as he pleaded his case about the Purple Heart being a Medal that George Washington started blah blah blah. His reasoning didnt make much sense to me. I seriously doubt many of the folks that receive the certificate even have a clue to what that medal really means to the Military, let alone how many of them are awarded to soldiers who will never get to wear them.

Any way it is what it is, I kind of figured this guy would have a clue being a retired Army SFC, but he doesnt.

Craig,

I get your point and while attempts were made to see that I was awarded a Purple Heart in Viet Nam they failed. I will have 5 Purple Heart on my certificate when it arrives. From my perspective they are only a checkmark for the states I contacted and represent indirectly those individuals that prior to 1776, made a sacrifice in part or total that we will never know their name.

Thank-you for your service of 30 years.

Mike

Craig,

I get your point and while attempts were made to see that I was awarded a Purple Heart in Viet Nam they failed. I will have 5 Purple Heart on my certificate when it arrives. From my perspective they are only a checkmark for the states I contacted and represent indirectly those individuals that prior to 1776, made a sacrifice in part or total that we will never know their name.

Thank-you for your service of 30 years.

Mike

No Thank You and Welcome Home, something you Vietnam Vets didnt hear alot of.
I joined up in October 1978 there were alot of Vietnam guys still on active duty back then, and they were looked up to by us new recruits for sure.

I have until October 5th 2011 till I retire, yup they keep us old goats around as long as they can now a days, the only reason I am well over 30 years is due to a promotion, that and I can still do the job.

I'm glad to see someone getting a certificate that can appreciate what the medal really represents.

Thanks Craig

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.