• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

This cb price gouging has got to stop

I paid $450 plus the ride for my 2995dx with the 2290's about a year ago. I noticed then there were several for sale. Now I dont see them come up in my search and when I do they seem to be selling for $100-$200 more than what I paid for mine.
Base stations take up a lot of space where as a mobile and a supply tales up considerably less.
I want to say Radio Shack was one of the last to offer a base station which seemed to get smaller and cheaper with every model.
This is why youre seeing the prices people are asking.
My customer is a collector and that 2k will be preserved for future generations to pay outrageously large amounts of money to own and look at...

I paid $450 plus the ride for my 2995dx with the 2290's about a year ago. I noticed then there were several for sale. Now I dont see them come up in my search and when I do they seem to be selling for $100-$200 more than what I paid for mine.
Base stations take up a lot of space where as a mobile and a supply tales up considerably less.
I want to say Radio Shack was one of the last to offer a base station which seemed to get smaller and cheaper with every model.
My customer is a collector and that 2k will be preserved for future generations to pay outrageously large amounts of money to own and look at...
send him my way i got uhh lots of vintage and collectables

Reactions: Tokin
My customer is a collector and that 2k will be preserved for future generations to pay outrageously large amounts of money to own and look at.
Collectors are a totally different ballgame, they will never use it will pay big money for it to sit on a shelf. Let's just hope their kids have shoes and good to eat . I know pleanty of ham "collectors" that live in almost total squalor but they pay big money for bright shinny bling.

Correct me if I am wrong but does the 2995DX not have mosfets? I have the 2990DX that runs the 2sc2290 transistors.

Correct me if I am wrong but does the 2995DX not have mosfets? I have the 2990DX that runs the 2sc2290 transistors.
The early 2995dx also used the 2290's then as the supply dried up they switched to fets like everyone else. The 2290 2995's are the more desirable unit though I have to say the fet units sound just as good. Mine was made around 2003. Look for 2995 serial numbers with the letter T in it for the toshiba units.

Reactions: r carl and TIN_CAN
Ok ok, i understand there are lots an lots of stupid people who will pay anything for a used cb radio but this is out of control already. $150 for a GE 40ch, $200 used galaxy 959, $100 sbe 23ch, $700 cobra 2000, etc etc. I see people buying used radios for more than a new one costs. Like the 959. I know its mostly an ebay thing, all cb radios are rare, vintage, collectors item yada yada yada. Pshhh. But it is spilling out into the other places too, like craigslist etc. "Well i can get $$$ for it on ebay" "on ebay they sell for" omg, stop! I cant even buy a used cb anymore without spending hundreds of dollars. This is just stupid already. And its not just radios, its almost everything cb related, weird. radio shack stock mic $ 30, rare vintage used antron 99 antenna $150 hahaha, and the amps? Well, yea those too. Just had to vent. I was looking at e bay for a used ssb radio and i was like wtf! All the prices for everything are out the roof. Ridiculous
Its called supply and demand.
Im one of those db's with a high priced Cobra 2k on Ebunk and Offerup.
I challenge you to find an unmolested 2k in the box for less than what im selling mine for. You also have to remember folks who sell on Ebunk pay a HIGH premium. For me to make this one sale will cost $150+ in fees. You think im going to eat all that? Hells NO im not.
Thats the price of the convenience of having EVERYTHING in one place for us to buy amd sell.
People can set any price they want but if you filter your results to "Sold Items" you will see what these items really sell for.
I have a perfectly good, like new, 40 ch cb on ebay for $35 & can't even get that. I recently had a new in the box Midland 5000z converted for 3 bands of channels & tuned up, for $75 & it took a long time to sell. Shipping costs are way up & ebay charges a hefty fee plus PayPal charges plus now taxes as well. There are indeed alot of ridiculous prices on ebay, but that's all worked out by supply & demand of market. If there is a radio for way too much & it's not selling, make an offer. That's worked for me many times.

Reactions: Tokin and Slowmover
In my very humble opinion the high price of CB radios is nothing new.
Only the antennas went inexpensively when I look at old ads. The radios were exhorbitantly priced then, and still are.
I have paid over $100 for only three CB radios over my entire life span. Only one of them was truly approaching being worth it, and now I won't pay that much for it.
So, the gouging isn't just on eBay, but anywhere they are sold.
I have a one owner Cobra 19 I'd let go for $700 local pickup only.
:whistle:

Reactions: Slowmover
I have a perfectly good, like new, 40 ch cb on ebay for $35 & can't even get that. I recently had a new in the box Midland 5000z converted for 3 bands of channels & tuned up, for $75 & it took a long time to sell. Shipping costs are way up & ebay charges a hefty fee plus PayPal charges plus now taxes as well. There are indeed alot of ridiculous prices on ebay, but that's all worked out by supply & demand of market. If there is a radio for way too much & it's not selling, make an offer. That's worked for me many times.
Ive made offers thru mesaaging and had some success. I had 9 watchers when I lowered the price $50 and one of the watchers bit. Out of the total $925 it cost me $230 between shipping, ebay and paypal fees so no its not cheap but where else can you put something up for sale from the comfort of your own home and have access to literally millions of potential buyers? I know ebay fees are around 10% and paypal I believe is around 6%. Sales tax collection is mandated by states and they have no say in the matter. I was shocked when Arizona charged my customer $30 tax on a vintage chainsaw I sold him.

Reactions: Staybolt
It's hard to sell much on ebay because of shipping rates that drive away just about everyone. I have had people ask me to either drop the shipping or cheapen it up. I can't do that.

It's hard to sell much on ebay because of shipping rates that drive away just about everyone. I have had people ask me to either drop the shipping or cheapen it up. I can't do that.
I used to bitch about shipping until I started selling more then I got it. On large heavy and high dollar items ill charge a flat shipping rate to cover my ass then if shipping is considerably less $10 or more ill refund the balance. EBay's postal calculator rips off the seller every time and ebay gets 10% of what the seller charges to ship. Yes you can find good deals but you know the seller is losing money.

Reactions: r carl

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.