• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

thoughts on the chinese units

I think the chinese junk we see is mainly because of the importers want CHEAP stuff to sell us. China is one of the larger builders of mid sized to mega yachts and nobody would spent the millions to buy one of those if they were junk, would they. You cant condemn a whole nation on an opinion. I would much rather buy American if we made anything at all worth having, but we dont and some of what is "made" here is absolute trash.

PR

unfortunately, those are very true words Packrat. In the the words of Marty Mcfly sure Doc, all of the best stuff is built in Japan. And now I guess in China also. Oh, by the way, the thing about china having to much of our money. How many are aware that our great government has borrowed billions of dollars from... Yep You guessed it CHINA :LOL:

Chop...or anyone...I didn't even know that there were Chinese ham radios until today...I think that this a great option for some.

The KG-UVD1P 136-174 420-520 MHz Dual Band P + USB cable is selling for $110 + 20 for shipping. Is that the one you got...looks like a decent unit for the price, and you like yours? I am considering buying one of those high priced Japanese units that everybody is talking about, but I might buy a Chinese one until I decide on one of the VX-8's unless by the time I decide the Chinese have figured out how to make a GPS/APRS capable Quad bander....Its great the Chinese radios include some good extras...the Japanese makers should take notice...They used to crap on the Korean car manufactures and it was the Japanese before that...The only thing that stays constant is change, and they are is always someone hungrier that will do it cheaper and possibly better, some day!

my Wouxun KG-UVD1p HT has a VFO. i have to say it's a great radio and considering the price, you can't go wrong. the nay sayers be damned, i could care less what they think.

Not sure what quoting me was all about. My quote above was in reference to my erroneous thinking that commercial radios could not have VFO control and these radios are being marketed as commercial units not amateur radios. That was settled by Richard, SS8541 and noted by me.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/handitalkies/28907-thoughts-chinese-units-3.html#post109079

I know the Wouxun KG-UVD1p HT has a VFO. The quality of the radios today is better than they were a couple years ago. The big problem I have with them today however is that you have to be very carefull when buying some of them because they are Kenwood or Yaesu clones that are cheaply made. Some even bear the Motorola name but are NOT Motorola. Obviously names like Wouxun or KYD or Puxin are not fake Kenwoods or Motorolas but one must be carefull of buying a Chinese Kenwood.

I think the chinese junk we see is mainly because of the importers want CHEAP stuff to sell us. China is one of the larger builders of mid sized to mega yachts and nobody would spent the millions to buy one of those if they were junk, would they. You cant condemn a whole nation on an opinion. I would much rather buy American if we made anything at all worth having, but we dont and some of what is "made" here is absolute trash.

PR

Agreed 100%. My wife and I were talking last night and I said I wish I could find another pair of Prospector winter boots like I had bought several years ago. The problem is that the company just cannot compete with the cheap products from China. Consumers have been conditioned to buy several sets of a cheap product rather than a one time purchase of a more expensive product. Since the price is lower it makes dealing with a purchase at the time easier. Forget about the fact that you will be bck again doing it all over again next year or sooner. I paid nearly $175 on sale for a pair of nice leather Canadian made Prospector brand winter boots and would gladly do it again if I could find them.They lasted me for 6 or 7 winters and are still half decent. Try that from a $35 Chinese Walmart special.

China made radio's

Wouxun radio's are well built - I have 3

The fidaxin's I had all suffered from keypad failure and remote speaker/mic connections were poor - I won't be buying any more

There's a big reason the rigs are so much cheaper. Not only are their labor costs cheaper, they don't do any of the engineering, research and development, marketing, or anything else. They normally build a unit for a foreign company, then once they have all the details, make them and sell them under another name. It's not just radios, the Chinese do that to all the products they make. I have a friend in Taiwan that says the Chinese have always done business that way. Not legal, as you will hear all the countries around the world complaining of the Chinese and copyright infringment. And their R and D is "rip off and duplicate". :D

All that being said, I woud probably buy one too since they are so cheap, and work pretty darned good.

RT307

Being a hammy I have all the "Name Brand" stuff that comes from "Japan"..
Recently I purchased cheap a$$ed ($59-100)Chinese stuff for my family to place in their GTFO bags..
From the locals here in Houston, they consistently tell me that my audio is clearer and more intelligible from the Chinese units that it is from the $300-400 Japanese units!
If it is an elitist mindset that pervades the community regarding the "junk" units versus the overpriced Cadillac nameplates.. I can only remind myself that in 1972 I bought a Toyota Celica for $2800 new.. My father bought a Top of the line Caddy,then a Lincoln,then a Chrysler and about a dozen other types of cars all new before I got rid of my Toyota in 2002... He called that car junk when I got it and has since ate those words dozens of times in the 30 years between...Type acceptance? If it works go for it.. After all it is the government that declares marijuana illegal and alcohol legal.. Which has caused more hazard to human life?
Exactly...

chinese or...

Where my Galaxy DX-959 was made from did influence my decision on what to buy. I was wanting one of the Galaxy's with the backlite faceplates but they're made in China. I didn't want Malaysia to get my money either. If I could buy quality stuff in the good ole USA I would. I do however like chinese food. It's at least cooked here. :closedeyes:

I just bought a Baofeng uv-5ra talkie. it is dual band 2 meter 440. so far it works awesome, and awesome battery life. I can even use it on my local radio club's 440 repeater from my basement which i could never do with the icom i had. looking into digital mode too and interested in getting either a hytera radio for mototrbo or d-star. If i find out there is activity on the mototrbo systems in chicago i would probably get the hytera since it is about $150.00 cheaper than the icom 92ad for d-star

I didn't know about BaoFeng radios until reading about them on this board. (The wealth of technical info is what encouraged me to join.)

I'm curious to see the spectral output of one of these radios. There's a pic of a spectrum analyzer display floating around the 'net, but not centered on the tx frequency and the analyzer's bandwidth was WAY too high.

It's part 90 certified and sold by many big name amateur radio retailers. I don't need no spectral purity analysis to make my mind up as to buy one or not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated