• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on these tuners

I have a 989C, and bought a Palstar AT2K. Both get the job done, but it's like comparing a Yugo to a Cadillac. Personally, I would look for a used Palstar if a new one is out of your budget. I also run an AL-80B.

Brett

No but when I go for a Ameritron AL-82, I saw 2 Palstar's I would love to have. I went with the MFJ-989D with the Ameritron AL-80B

Power rating of a tuner can often be misleading. Power is one thing while reactance voltages are another. Depending on the antenna impedance is is very possible to cause a 3Kw tuner to arc when running only 1 Kw. I have seen bandswitch contacts flash over to the screws holding the wafers together when considerably less than rated power was being used. I burned up the toroid in my Ten-Tec AT-227 manual tuner which was rated for 200 watts when I was running 100 watts max. I was on 160m at the time messing around with some shortened antenna and heard a SNAP!! every time I keyed up. It was arcing and eventually the plastic former on the toroid actually caught fire. I replaced that stepped toroid with a hand wound toroid with a different ceramic switch and no more problems. remember this was Ten-Tec and not MFJ.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
For a few dollars more I'd go with the Palstar AT2K. Tunes darn near anything, handles 1.5 KW easily, tunes 160 thru 6 Meters, and the settings are very repeatable. BTW, it's built like a tank.

Reactions: BJ radionut
I picked up my used 989C for 100 bucks, so it was hard to turn that one down. While I don't anticipate buying a bigger amp anytime soon, it's nice to have the extra capacity that the Palstar offers. KC9Q, you're right... it's built like a tank. And I had to hold the 989C down while I turned the inductor. :mad: There's a pretty big difference in the price of the 989D and AT2K ($315 at ham city for the MFJ, vs. right around $550 at a couple of places for the AT2K), but I feel the difference in build justifies the price. I'm trying to gear my buying to do it right the first time ,and save money down the road. The AT2K is hopefully going to be the only tuner I will ever need.

Brett

For a few dollars more I'd go with the Palstar AT2K. Tunes darn near anything, handles 1.5 KW easily, tunes 160 thru 6 Meters, and the settings are very repeatable. BTW, it's built like a tank.

I like the 2K and 4K as well as that 5K in it. But too pricey right now.

Reactions: 2RT307
MFJ 989C EHam reviews
Reviews: 145 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $360

There is a reason why 'most' MFJ products enjoy a sorry rating.

I wonder why.......I think I know........

"Caveat emptor" on all MFJ items

Reactions: bob85

I have the AT2K so I know what it does. I like the repeatability of the settings. Keeps the on-the-air tuning to a minimum: Just set the dials and inductor to the documented setting and you are OK to go. I have a MFJ-941E and a LDG-7000 tuner and the AT2K runs rings around them. It's a startup plan for an amplifier (AL80B) in the future. Plan on getting equipment that will last a long time and not need changing (IMHO).

Mike

There is nothing wrong with MFJ. You just have to take the cover off and check all screws and solder joints. And make sure the roller inductor works smooth. As a Ham. you should have the technical knowledge to do this. Everybody badmouths them, but who else has a product line like his, and for those prices. He took chances with Hy-Gain, Ameritron, and Cushcraft. Without him, we would have fewer choices, for higher prices.
Rich

Reactions: Heavy Metal
What I ran into with the modern tuners on the market was that they cheap out on the tuner to add an undersized balun, dummy load and a crappy meter. I don't see any reason to buy things I already own when I'm just looking for a tuner.

I was looking for parts to build one and ran across an old Murch ultimate transmatch in good condition for about the same price I could buy the air variables. I may still build something more robust in the future.

MFJ 989C EHam reviews
Reviews: 145 Average rating: 2.6/5 MSRP: $360

There is a reason why 'most' MFJ products enjoy a sorry rating.

I wonder why.......I think I know........

"Caveat emptor" on all MFJ items

I'm the one with the 989C. Heavy Metal bought a D, which does have a higher rating, although with less reviews on Eham.
Reviews: 60 Average rating: 3.4/5

I know where you are coming from with MFJ, but some of their products work very well, and they do back their products. I'd still recommend a used Palstar over a new MFJ, but it's Heavy Metal's decision, his money, and he already picked the D. :)

Brett

I'm the one with the 989C. Heavy Metal bought a D, which does have a higher rating, although with less reviews on Eham.
Reviews: 60 Average rating: 3.4/5

I know where you are coming from with MFJ, but some of their products work very well, and they do back their products. I'd still recommend a used Palstar over a new MFJ, but it's Heavy Metal's decision, his money, and he already picked the D. :)

Brett

Reviews are good but sometime people review things too far one way or the other but their good to have as a base line to start at.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.