• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Thoughts on these tuners

Heavy Metal

Aug 23, 2014
MFJ-989D 500 Watt Legal Limit Antenna Tuner w/ Dummy Load.

MFJ-962D 1.5KW AirCore Roller Inductor Tuner.

MFJ-986 3KW Roller Tuner, SWR Meter, 1.8-30 MHZ.

Used on Ameritron AL-80B or AL82 amp.

Which would be best pick or best pick just for the AL-80B?

Thanks

MFJ-989D 500 Watt Legal Limit Antenna Tuner w/ Dummy Load

Is a 3kw tuner. The dummy load is only 300 watts. It is on sale at HRO and Gigaparts for 295 and free shipping. I would buy it. The 969 will only handle about 600-800 watt range. Rated input, not output.
Rich

MFJ-989D 500 Watt Legal Limit Antenna Tuner w/ Dummy Load

Is a 3kw tuner. The dummy load is only 300 watts. It is on sale at HRO and Gigaparts for 295 and free shipping. I would buy it. The 969 will only handle about 600-800 watt range. Rated input, not output.
Rich

The MFJ-989D is supposedly 1500watts

A true 1500 watts. Earlier versions said 3kw right on the front. This is the one you want. Just remember to do your on QC on it before use.
Rich
A true 1500 watts. Earlier versions said 3kw right on the front. This is the one you want. Just remember to do your on QC on it before use.
Rich

So get MFJ-986 3Kw one

Or the MFJ-989D 1500 watt with dummy load

The 986 is a differential T tuner. If this your first, do not buy. It is fussier to tune. The 986 is a 3kw input, which makes a 1500 watt tuner.The 989 used to be called a 3kw tuner, but now is rated by actual output from the amp.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5336136228&icep_item=221709736285

Quoted from the 986's manual

" Understanding Power Ratings

There are no standardized power rating systems for tuners. The names used (i.e. 3 kW Tuner) carry over

from the time when amplifiers were rated by peak power input, and not the true RF power output. For

example, the one thousand watt Johnson Matchbox was rated to handle a 1000 watt plate modulated AM

transmitter (four kilowatts PEP transmitter input and 3000 watts PEP RF output). The Heathkit SB-220

was called a two kilowatt amplifier, and the rated CW output was approximately 600 watts. Matching

tuners were called 2 kilowatt tuners, and these tuners safely handled 600 watts of CW power and 1200

watts PEP SSB.

The FCC has changed the power rating system of amplifiers, and tuners no longer follow amplifier

power ratings. Most typical 1500 watt tuners remain able to safely handle 400-600 watts CW, and 600-

900 watts PEP SSB.

Load conditions and control settings also greatly affect the power handling capability of the tuner. Tnetworks

typically handle more power on higher frequency bands into higher load impedances. The

worst operating condition for T-network tuners are low impedance capacitive reactance loads. Tnetwork

tuners always handle the least power when operated on 160 meters into low impedance

capacitive reactive loads.

Follow the guidelines in this manual to avoid exceeding the ratings of this tuner."

The fussier one is ok but either is ok too am looking at the Ameritron AL-80B and those 2 peaked my interest as well the 962D, i want one that will easily handle that amp, and down to 160 and upto 10 as well. But if it was not for being fussier which would be best and why? Am just trying to understand so far great things posted.

Last edited:
That amp will let the smoke out of the 962. The 989d is the one to go with. And at 295 delivered ,can't be beat.
Rich

The 986 has one capacitor and a roller inductor, The 989 has two capacitors and one roller inductor, They both do the same job. handle the same power. I just like the new 989d's design better since they redid it.
Rich

The 986 has one capacitor and a roller inductor, The 989 has two capacitors and one roller inductor, They both do the same job. handle the same power. I just like the new 989d's design better since they redid it.
Rich

Ok, so is having two more precise? Or about same?

Easier to tune

So both are same except for that. Hmmm just curious between both guess will be 989 instead of 986 really did not care for the dummy load internal that was part of it the other is ability to take full legal power at 160m
And at 10m.

full legal power on 160 is questionable for the mfj series of tuners..

Best bet is to have an antenna somewhere close to resonance on 160 meters due to the high current that the antenna coupler will have to handle.

What about In their manuals were they say this to this and not this lengths follow those figures not only for 160m but any and all upto 10m and Inbetween if you cannot make perfect resonance?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.