• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Time is now to revive CB Radio

Less CBs that look like this:
0706_4wd_01_z+cobra_29_cb_radio_review+faceplate.jpg

More like this:
Magnum_257.jpg

Remote face.
Optional frequency display instead of channel.
Make SSB the standard
Better receiver processing

It'd also be nice if the FCC increased the power limit to 25w.

Also, more 102" whips. Accept no substitutes.

I agree bring CB to the 2000's instead of same of the 70's but the thing is CB will never be popular again. Cell phones are like CB's except you can text, talk, and get internet on them. People want to go forward with technology not backwards. CB has it's place, but it's safe to say we will never see another CB boom like the 70's.

FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE AND CELL PHONES ARE USELESS IN A POWER FAILURE YOU CAN STILL USE THE CB IN YOUR CAR OR TRUCK ! CELL PHONES HA HA HA !:whistle::whistle::LOL::LOL:

I agree bring CB to the 2000's instead of same of the 70's but the thing is CB will never be popular again. Cell phones are like CB's except you can text, talk, and get internet on them. People want to go forward with technology not backwards. CB has it's place, but it's safe to say we will never see another CB boom like the 70's.

I disagree, the people I talked to all week on my Ham and CB on the road back and forth to work and from home do NOT have my e-mail addy nor my cell phone number and never will.
We would never have spoke if it were not for these modes of communication.
I like the way people say that new technology is out there.
Sure it is, yup, But, I don't have the truckers cell phone number ahead of me to ask him how the conditions are and chat with him to make the travel time go buy! If I did, air time is TOO expensive to chat !!

I don't buy this technology thing taking over the CB.
Like many of us here, this is a hobby.
The video gamer, for example, will call a tow truck after he gets in trouble on the road.
People have become little "clicks" of elite people on their "speed dial" and would rather not bother with anyone else let alone let someone jump in their conversation and change the subject that they think is SO important to them.

I have read posts here of your first radios. The majority started out with CB as I have. All those including myself until recently have let CB down.
I spoke around the world on my old Cobra 135 with 5 watts. Still have it !
I have made life long friends on the CB as well.

We all opted for smaller radios and smaller antennas and repeaters. Bigger radios and bigger antennas for other bands. Follow me here?
The OP makes a good point in bringing this subject up and rightfully so.
CB is for short distance on any given day and if more of us were to use the band the more interest would come of it. THERE is your advertising!
Just as it did when it started.

I have recently set up my old gear in my house and vehicle and hope to "catch you on the flip flop". Flyer 206

I disagree, the people I talked to all week on my Ham and CB on the road back and forth to work and from home do NOT have my e-mail addy nor my cell phone number and never will.
We would never have spoke if it were not for these modes of communication.
I like the way people say that new technology is out there.
Sure it is, yup, But, I don't have the truckers cell phone number ahead of me to ask him how the conditions are and chat with him to make the travel time go buy! If I did, air time is TOO expensive to chat !!

I don't buy this technology thing taking over the CB.
Like many of us here, this is a hobby.
The video gamer, for example, will call a tow truck after he gets in trouble on the road.
People have become little "clicks" of elite people on their "speed dial" and would rather not bother with anyone else let alone let someone jump in their conversation and change the subject that they think is SO important to them.

I have read posts here of your first radios. The majority started out with CB as I have. All those including myself until recently have let CB down.
I spoke around the world on my old Cobra 135 with 5 watts. Still have it !
I have made life long friends on the CB as well.

We all opted for smaller radios and smaller antennas and repeaters. Bigger radios and bigger antennas for other bands. Follow me here?
The OP makes a good point in bringing this subject up and rightfully so.
CB is for short distance on any given day and if more of us were to use the band the more interest would come of it. THERE is your advertising!
Just as it did when it started.

I have recently set up my old gear in my house and vehicle and hope to "catch you on the flip flop". Flyer 206

In the grand scheme of things all the above is just small potatoes compared to all the people that text,access the internet and just plain talk on their cell phone etc. Take a walk down any city street and see how many people are using "modern communications technology" compared to radio. For every one of you there are probably 1000 others that do not and will not use CB radio or any radio when given an option of radio versus cell phone/data terminal.

Cellphone consumes peoples lives....:mellow:

I even wrote an article about this subject. :laugh:

Here it is :

How Advances In Technology Are Making People Less Social

Technology is always advancing. As it advances people are incorporating it in there everyday lives. When technology advances it causes people to interact with one another less and less directly. Due to advances in the field of communications, it has become more and more convenient for people to use technology to indirectly and instantaneously communicate. Technologies purpose is to make our lives easier. When people rely too much on technology as to a crutch so to speak, its more harmful than beneficial. An example is cellular phones. Its nice to be able to talk or text at any time you need to communicate, at any given moment, but people also do this while driving which distracts them from driving which poses a hazard to themselves and others around them. Another example is when entertainment technology is used in excess, will isolate people from the outside world and can make a person antisocial.

T23

Thanks, It's not meant to be a biased rant or a debate topic just my personnel observations as cell phones and such have come onto the scene slowly...

T23

But not an "in the moment" local voice!
My point is hat the trucker in front of you has nor your or his number !!
The CB does!!!
INSTANT!!

Exactly! :laugh: And guess what!? NO MONTHLY FEES!!! Or 2 year contracts or voicemail or telemarketers for that matter...(y)

T23

There is no need for us to revive CB. It revives itself every 11 years when the sunspot cycle comes around. Looking back at the peaks of cb use, we see that it peaked in 1978, 1989, 2000, and now, 2011. CB will never be replaced by cellphones or other new digital toys. With CB, it is the fact that responses are immediate. Unlike a blog where you have to wait while people type a response, on the CB, when you unkey, the response from someone is IMMEDIATE !!! And when the skip is in, you can talk to persons all over the world.

The feeling of satisfaction of being the only station that gets through to that far away Dxer when every one else on the channel is trying , is something that will never happen online or on a cellphone.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
UUUGGGHHHH....Let me go try to make a skip contact on my cell phone.....:p

Oh wait.....I CAN"T!!!

Unless I have a phonebook from another state or county....:laugh:

T23

unit399: CB peaked in the late 70's because of movies like smoke & bandit, and because there was no other personal communications technology widely available. The price of CBs came down then.

If the only draw to CB is skip talking, then ham radio has the same draw, except who likes to talk to old farts all the time?
The 11 year cycle is not assured. the current cycle is late and might be lower than expected. sunspots are not a sure thing, and thats what 11 meters needs for DX.

I think it just goes to prove that people are fickle and can be influenced by media.

If there was a major news story - as an example - where a CB was involved and was a crucial part of it - and if it was to be repeated by the media in some heroic or made up in a gregarious way - you might see a bump in the use and possible resurgence of CB.

Big "IF" . . .

Certainly, the PRACTICAL reality of a major disaster where cell phones were made useless would having people rethinking the merits of radio and its lack of needing infrastructure/networking.

You know . . . Hindsight is 20/20 . . .

FIRST SIGN OF TROUBLE AND CELL PHONES ARE USELESS IN A POWER FAILURE YOU CAN STILL USE THE CB IN YOUR CAR OR TRUCK ! CELL PHONES HA HA HA !:whistle::whistle::LOL::LOL:

You have hit on a point that has brought me back into CB's, got out in the 80's. I got back in, in case of an National Emergency! I am not trying to be negative but look around guys! Look where our government is leading us? Look at the money they are printing devaluation it to where soon it will not be worth anything! Over 1/2 the taxes we pay just go to pay the interest on our national debt! There is no way that this will be able to be sustain!

There is going to have to be a financial adjustment and it will put us into a depression worst than in the 30's. Internet, cell phone, texting will not be available, but you can bet that CB & ham radio will be our main means of communication! Again, not trying to be negative, just prepared! Get your food and water storage also! I would rather be saying I'm glad I did, (it can always be used) rather than I wish I would of!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.