• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Time is now to revive CB Radio

The last several posts have simply been giving reasons to use a radio instead of cell phones etc and that's fine and dandy but reality is that CB radio etc will NEVER see a big resurgence because people's lifestyles have changed. YOU can love radio all you want but try to convince the thousands of kids in the neighborhood it's better than a cell phone and see what happens. Like a famous song writer once said, the times, they are a'changin".

Time are a 'changing alright.
Cell phone, text... Been there done that.. Hey kid,, have you ever heard of a CB...
No... let me show you..
One more bit by the bug!!

Reactions: Raccoon
CB is coming back.

I purchased my first CB 2 years ago. I purchased a Galaxy DX959 and have it hooked up to solar panels and a battery that is supposed to last 30-50 years. I also have DX959's in my vehicles. I did this because I do not think the United States will be the same nation within the next few years. At first, other members of my family and some of my friends thought I was being paranoid. Now, they are seeing what is happening to our economy and the United States' standing in the world. They can see what is about to come. If we weren't about to go into another "real" depression it would be funny to see all the cb antennas on almost all of their cars. A couple of my friends and my sister's husband have set up nice base stations in their homes - all working off of 12v power supplies. We don't talk on them to each other all that much, but we have them "just in case" and when that "just in case" situation occurs we'll be able to communicate when all the cell phone, internet using sheeple are waiting for Uncle Sam to "save" them.

I think many people are seeing the same thing coming that I did. They are purchasing cb's and not really using them, but they'll have them when they need them. I live in Virginia and over the past year or so I've started to see LOTS of vehicles riding around with cb antennas.

No, CB isn't dying. It's just on hold right now. When the cell phones don't work and the internet is down I'm positive that everyone will pick up their mic. Then the real conversation can begin about how to rebuild our country.

As some of you know, the FCC has asked for comments on proposed changes to the CB rules, as well as other rules related to other Part 95 radios. Ranger has commented and asked the FCC to raise the power limits and to allow for inaudible short digital transmissions. It also has a new 123 board, which is not available yet here, but I really like it. I have a Ranger pickup which generates a lot of noise on my other radios. There is no noise on the 123 board. I don't know when it will be available, but it has some great features.

CB Movie

Anybody got any friends in Hollywood? Get them to make some movies where cb is a big thing and that would get some interest back in it again. Expecially show some stuff where the cb can be used to call for help or home when the cell phone has no service.
I use my plain old 148gtl for my base and I have a simple trc 483 with weather band in the Jeep and that pair can reach over 17 miles with a little 3 foot firestick and a dipole.

I was thinking along those same lines. BUT... A new Smokey and the Bandit TYPE of Movie, (remember the fist time you saw that movie? it was an action FEEL GOOD move.) It would spotlight Trucking, CB radio, and people talking, helping each other via CB.....not a bad thing!

One of CB radios most endearing features is its simplicity. You turn it on, you pick a channel and press the button to talk. No need to worry about the right antenna, the right frequency, anybody else talking and upsetting anybody.
most of us can get our heads around it. It doesn't require any outside interference to make it work.

You know what made cell phones so popular?
The ability to text.

Just think of the possibilities if we could hook up a little screen or have screens big enough to read some text...and keyboard device to our cb's and use text...(As well)(Maybe not while driving...) Text to a bunch of mates using selective calling...without some means of storing them like a phone company does if one is not connected it would have to be real time...Retain all the other features of CB as they are...If they can stick that technology into a tiny little hand phone we should be able to have something similar in a CB radio.
I guess special modes and special channels but we have quite a lot of space on CB these days anyway! Taxis and other businesses have all that and more on their VHF/UHFfrequencies.
Maybe in time there will be local repeaters set up that could store and retransmit as radios were turned on and checked in..all automatic...
Technology has left us behind. CB is a dinosaur. Needs more than the ability to play music and fancy colours to revive this ageing behemoth.

The marine industry is incorporating this type of thing into their HF and VHF radios. It is called GMDSS.
That technology should soon be filtering through to the rest of the HF world and maybe to CB.
Maybe?

One of CB radios most endearing features is its simplicity. You turn it on, you pick a channel and press the button to talk. No need to worry about the right antenna, the right frequency, anybody else talking and upsetting anybody.
most of us can get our heads around it. It doesn't require any outside interference to make it work.

You know what made cell phones so popular?
The ability to text.

Just think of the possibilities if we could hook up a little screen or have screens big enough to read some text...and keyboard device to our cb's and use text...(As well)(Maybe not while driving...) Text to a bunch of mates using selective calling...without some means of storing them like a phone company does if one is not connected it would have to be real time...Retain all the other features of CB as they are...If they can stick that technology into a tiny little hand phone we should be able to have something similar in a CB radio.
I guess special modes and special channels but we have quite a lot of space on CB these days anyway! Taxis and other businesses have all that and more on their VHF/UHFfrequencies.
Maybe in time there will be local repeaters set up that could store and retransmit as radios were turned on and checked in..all automatic...
Technology has left us behind. CB is a dinosaur. Needs more than the ability to play music and fancy colours to revive this ageing behemoth.

The marine industry is incorporating this type of thing into their HF and VHF radios. It is called GMDSS.
That technology should soon be filtering through to the rest of the HF world and maybe to CB.
Maybe?
I agree
It can't happen too soon though; CB needs to catch up quick to be more relevant.

BIG BOB I have picked up on E BAY three or four of the old GE HELP CB RADIOS ( MODEL # 3-5900 is the better one I M O ) you can get them cheap and the the ones I bought where brand new never used and work great , damb good little radios ,comes in a carry case with antenna and a power cord that pugs into lighter can be set up in seconds and always with you in the trunk or under the front seat ( MY WHAT A NOVEL IDEA ! ) all my family members have one in their vehicles. Like I said in my other post CELL PHONES FIRST TO CRAP OUT :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
BIG BOB I have picked up on E BAY three or four of the old GE HELP CB RADIOS ( MODEL # 3-5900 is the better one I M O ) you can get them cheap and the the ones I bought where brand new never used and work great , damb good little radios ,comes in a carry case with antenna and a power cord that pugs into lighter can be set up in seconds and always with you in the trunk or under the front seat ( MY WHAT A NOVEL IDEA ! ) all my family members have one in their vehicles. Like I said in my other post CELL PHONES FIRST TO CRAP OUT :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Scout,
I have a Grant XL in one truck with all goodies, a Magnum Omega Force in the other truck just coming back from Chris Holland for a GOOD tuneup, another Grant XL with all the goodies I was going to use as a base, but with the encouragement of CDX-007 I have now picked up a low hours and in excellent condition ICOM IC-751A that will be here this Friday. Been studying for my Technicians license and think I will be taking the test next month. If interested, here is a great place to study online for the Ham License:

HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses

I also have 2 GE 3-5980A CB handhelds.

Now all I have to do is wait for my foot to heal from surgery on December 30th to get the antennas up. Dr says I can't put any weight on it till around February 10th, and I'm sure it will be a bit tender for a while. I am hoping to get the antennas up in March.

We are all trying to figure out what has caused the decline of CB (as well as ham) over the last several years, when the answer is OBVIOUS! The new generation of kids can not HEAR US!!! Kids have computers in every school and at home, and have family and friends who all have cell phones and Blackberries, but WHO today has a CB or HAM receiver? When I was a kid, I had a Lafayette CB walkie talkie with a regenerative receiver, which could hear every CB or HAM conversation within 15 miles!! It sparked my interest in radio, and led me (and quite a few other future hams and CBers) to pursue the hobby! I would listen to these voices and those interesting conversations, and couldn't wait to have my own set up so I could join them! All the walkie talkies now are on on high frequency FM, but where can kids find them for 11 meters today? If we can just convince some manufacturers to start making those inexpensive 11 meter CB walkie talkies that can pick up CB and HAM conversations, we will once again have that great means of free advertising, which could again ignite the interest of millions of kids who probably do not even know that we exist.

at the age of 19 now (probally youngest on this webpage period LOL) i started my cb fetish when i was about 13. My dad drives a truck and brought a cobra 29 in the house due to a new radio purchase for his truck. Curious about it i hooked it up to a firestick and battery and that night changed my life forever...i found a whole group of guys within about a 20 mile radius talking like familys do at xmas. finally getting a radio break and chance to talk i made contact with a couple of them. within about 20 mins i had 15 beams pointed to my house and everyone was just talking away. It was at that time i knew this was something i enjoyed. progress was slow but at the moment theres over a 100 feet of tower in my yard with a 4 element maco stuck on top. My bedroom couldnt fit another cobra 2000, ranger base, d104 mic or tube box in it. So i now have them oozing out of the closet and under my bed lol.... since i started talking ive made lifelong friends and even got some of my age group into the hobby. Is cb radio declining? Yes. But the moral to the story is theres always going to be new people getting involved. I drove 300 miles yesterday to pick up another 2000. 2 friends rode with me and every conversation we had pertained to radios. Dont turn your back on cb folks. Keep it going!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?