• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

too much grounding?

53 bayous

is there any such thing as too much grounding? I have the back of my radio grounded with 6 guage wire connected to an 8 foot solid copper rod in the ground. Now my radio is very quiet concerning ground noise, and my swrs dropped a slightly, causing it to look like my dead key has dropped a lil bit as well. But my radio is so quiet as I hear incoming carrier signals, and seem to be transmitting fine with an almost flat swr. Is this normal?

</p>

Is it normal? Sort of. Grounding will make some difference any time you ground something. That difference may or may not be noticable. Every installation is different, no two are every exactly the same. So, 'milage' varies...
Can you have too much grounding? Yes, or at least it can cause problems if it isn't done 'correctly'. Commonly called 'ground-loops'. It means there happens to be just the right (wrong) set of circumstances resulting from whatever is used to do that grounding, or how it's used, and where it's used.
- 'Doc

Hey, if it's better than it was before you grounded things, that means it's good (done right).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.