• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Took the cover off my NOS Midland 76-858 What gem!

Onelasttime

Aug 3, 2011
Ok so it is AM only and that is first for me I have not bought an AM only CB radio since 1991 just a month before I purchased a RCI2950.

So I fired it up the other night to check receive and it sounded good. So I decided to hook it to a magnet mount and large stock pot indoors. I was surprised how good it sounded. Not perfect but really good.

So it took me 2 hours to remove the 9 screws that hold the bottom plastic on. One of them had to be drilled out. I am 6 foot 1 300lbs. and was trained as a Mechanic before going off to college. Fast forward 20 years latter I went to trade school to become massage therapist. I have some grip strength and know how to use a screwdriver. The screws while shinny and pristine where made from what I can only describe as pot metal.

I soon figured out why it sounded so good 40 years after it was built as soon as I had the cover off. IT has as many film caps as it has lytics maybe a be more film caps than lytics.

I was running it off 110V so it's internal supply limits it's power output. It is dual fused one 2.5 amp fuse at the supply and another 2.5 amp fuse on the cadmium plated rear panel. I am not after huge watt's or anything stupid like that it is what it is. Common sense tells you to set something like this up at 2 watt dead key let it swing.

I have never seen this board before and all of the parts layouts and components are really high quality and the attention to detail is very good. It is not an elaborate board at all nothing new going on just appears to be a really solid design though. Nothing about it's design, layout or the parts used screams 40 year old radio to me. As far as AM only radio's go I would put this up against anything made today and expect it to win. Other than the typical lower than it should be stock modulation setting and the handicapped power output due to small power supply rated at 2.5A max this radio had to be fantastic in it's day to anyone that ever took the covers off. It is as cheap as you would ever want to make a 40ch AM radio design if you where an engineer and took pride in what you designed and built. You can tell that the engineer that designed this was very very mindful of what he kept in the radio and what he was willing to leave out. The board has plenty of un-used nicely silk screened parts pads so I know it had to have been offered with other features prob. in higher end radio's.

Now that my wife is home I will take some photos with her phone and post them. I am 43 and this radio is 40 years old.

Yep. It is nothing fancy under the hood but damn if they did not use crazy insane high end parts in the entire design. Simple design but really executed well. The only thing I wish they had done differently is used a bigger more expensive crystal filter. I know it was made in Japan but that is about it. For the time some of those lytics are huge and had to cost some coin back than. Every part in this thing is name brand Mitsu, Moto, Toshiba etc....I do not even see the 2.5 amp rating of the power supply as a limit when looking at the design and small compact foot print. All of the screws go into tapped steel or brass extensions. I was just surprised to see a small table top 40Ch AM only base with a simple board design loaded with top of the line name brand parts. I take that back they used 3 cheap carbon comp resistors in the power supply area which I thought was stupid since they used metal film, carbon film and wound wire resistors in the rest of the unit. I was using a magnet mount on a stock pot in the kitchen and getting really good receive. I was a bit worried when I bought it but for $60 I think it was I did just fine.

It is not often you get a good deal and are pleasantly surprised by both the build quality and real world performance.

Like all Japanese stuff the details make it. I love that the speaker has connectors that are easy to remove and put back on instead of being soldered to the board.

I was going to mod it since ithas the Pll O2A but I am just going to recap it and put it to work. One film cap did have some nasty color to like heat browning and I ouly used it a bit so I want to replace it before I play with it too much more.

I just can notg et over how well it is bilt for 1976/1977. If it was any better of a design and over built any more I would think was a Motorola CB. The power supply is the only weak spot I think. I think it might be single conversion but that said it sounded really sensitive on receive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.