• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Toshiba vs HG

The data sheet recommendation is 100% fact based. The rest is opinion based on limited but solid observations over time.

I will say this though ever notice how many really old radios just seem to run like a top for decades with nothing more than regular use. How often do we see that today in the hobby with modern black box radio's?

In fact, I have a $89 Blue-ray player that I use every night to play movies or music to help my sleep. I have kept it around because it has every type of connector for input and output from the last 30 years on the back of it. The shuttle motor is close to worn out. It get's used 8 hours a night every single night and has been used that way for at least 10 years more and if I watch a movie in my bedroom then that as well. If I radically volted it or left in a box unused for 10+ year it probably would not work as well as it does. It is a cheap consumer product. Why should an HF amp not be at least as durable and dependable? It was made in China and built to a price point and sold at Walmart for $89.The current $89 Bluy Ray players do not compare to it at all.

If you want electronics to last never abuse them and use them at least once a month!

Oh and a cool electronic device is a happy device!

Last edited:
The data sheet recommendation is 100% fact based. The rest is opinion based on limited but solid observations over time.

I will say this though ever notice how many really old radios just seem to run like a top for decades with nothing more than regular use. How often do we see that today in the hobby with modern black box radio's?

In fact, I have a $89 Blue-ray player that I use every night to play movies or music to help my sleep. I have kept it around because it has every type of connector for input and output from the last 30 years on the back of it. The shuttle motor is close to worn out. It get's used 8 hours a night every single night and has been used that way for at least 10 years more and if I watch a movie in my bedroom then that as well. If I radically volted it or left in a box unused for 10+ year it probably would not work as well as it does. It is a cheap consumer product. Why should an HF amp not be at least as durable and dependable? It was made in China and built to a price point and sold at Walmart for $89.The current $89 Bluy Ray players do not compare to it at all.

If you want electronics to last never abuse them and use them at least once a month!

Oh and a cool electronic device is a happy device!

How many watts do you get out of that $89 bluray player?

The toshiba, the HG and the HGc all tune differently from what I have read.
That's because they spent more time copying the data sheet than they ever did copying the Toshiba part. If the specs were what they say on the datasheet, the part would be the drop in replacement they attempt to deceive people into thinking it is by the fake number.

If the market demand was not high enough to keep the original part in production by Toshiba, there is zero possibility that another manufacturer is going to see anything profitable, other than counterfeiting with a different part. Remember, 11 meters is the ONLY place there is any demand for this part and the Chinese know they can get away with selling anything that says 2SC2879 on it, because they already have.

As for the data sheet being 100% fact, the data sheet is only as good as the parameters used for the test.
Other data can be extrapolated from them, but
data sheets don't show hard limits of other conditions that the device may encounter.
Many tubes can exceed the data sheet limits in pulsed or intermittent service such as SSB communications.
Same for Transistors, and the Toshiba 2879 is a stellar example of that fact.I
It took years for Toshiba to get were they were with the 2879, I don't think anyone else is going to invest that much time to get it as good.

Jeff

That's because they spent more time copying the data sheet than they ever did copying the Toshiba part. If the specs were what they say on the datasheet, the part would be the drop in replacement they attempt to deceive people into thinking it is by the fake number.

If the market demand was not high enough to keep the original part in production by Toshiba, there is zero possibility that another manufacturer is going to see anything profitable, other than counterfeiting with a different part. Remember, 11 meters is the ONLY place there is any demand for this part and the Chinese know they can get away with selling anything that says 2SC2879 on it, because they already have.

But its still the only game in town and if theyre willing to want to make a better product for us and are willing to take advice and feedback from the builders we spend lots of money on i say thats great for us in the long run. It means advancement and better products.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I know dei was not the best but about the only option we had for a while before huagao semi. What's the story on dei? Did Erik give up on them or was it the ones who were manufacturing them for him. I hear they're discontinued but is that a fact or just a guess. I only ask because I myself don't really know

Reactions: Tokin
I know dei was not the best but about the only option we had for a while before huagao semi. What's the story on dei? Did Erik give up on them or was it the ones who were manufacturing them for him. I hear they're discontinued but is that a fact or just a guess. I only ask because I myself don't really know
From what i understand DEI name was sold to hg and hg actually produced the last dei run using hg transistors with dei lids. That was a few years ago.

Now, when you can pop the lid off of a new HG and it matches the size, shape and number of gold wires connecting to the silicon wafer inside, you'll know they made some effort to clone the real 2879 rather than just relabel another existing part...

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Hmm...

Other people are forgetting the "trombone" requirement for the two-pill - your little impedance matcher....

upload_2020-9-9_11-3-11.png

Input and output - the lengths and diameter of pipe, or snorkel
- as well as the Permeability of the Ferrite cores used...
Toshiba is one level of conjugate...
They did their own calculations and developed their own method of detection, and extrapolation...

Hg versus DEI are another...
They don't have a clue as to what the thing will actually do...to you - you use it, but it's the OLD still idealized for the new?

That's up to you...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.