• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tram Diamond d201 Vox recap/restoration thread for dummies

Enterprise312ok

Jun 12, 2022
I have decided to go with replacment multi section capacitors to simplify the process. My first question Is can I use this 20 20 20 20uf 475v In place of a 10 10 10 10uf 450v. I want the extra voltage rating to protect against the start up surge that Nomadradio warns of.Screenshot_2022-12-04-09-36-36.png

I decided to go ahead and order the original value multi section caps and all of the other High voltage axial caps from antique electronic supply. I was able to get good quality made in usa caps for abut $112.
Here is the parts list to make it easy on others:20221204_221836.jpg

I am going to try and condense all of the info I can find on this thread, any tips or advice from those with experience is welcome.
Here is the factory shematic for the Tram Diamond d201 vox hardwire

Attachments

• tram_d201_sch.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 18
And here is the owners manual:

Attachments

• tram_201_vox_om_pg20_pg31.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • tram_201_vox_om_pg10_pg20.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • tram_201_vox_om_pg01_pg10.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: bucketofguts
And .Nomadradio's 100,000 mile tune up(for the later circuit board model)

Attachments

• TramTuneupPage2.pdf
    131.3 KB · Views: 8
  • TramTuneupPage1.pdf
    297.3 KB · Views: 7
Does anyone know where to buy a dc blocking capacitor for the d201?
In Mikesradiorepair video he recomends upgrading it and I have read stories about them shorting so I definatly want to upgrade.

Does anyone know where to buy a dc blocking capacitor for the d201?
In Mikesradiorepair video he recomends upgrading it and I have read stories about them shorting so I definatly want to upgrade.

Thanks Kneebiter,
I have the new x1y2 safety caps and all the electrolytics on the way. hopefully this old boat anchor will come to life when I bring it up on the variac. It was running when parked so I am hoping for the best.

I found the video where mike shows his dc blocking cap upgrade.
This yellow drop .001uf 1600vdc is what he uses between the final tube and coax connector.Screenshot_2023-01-01-17-36-30.png

Electrolytic capacitors arrived today, so far I have 1 of the multi section caps replaced. My cellular internet is too slow to post photos tonight but I am documenting the processes for this thread.

Using a ceramic disc cap for C700 creates the risk of discovering a "microphonic" capacitor. Not in the sense of picking up noise, but emitting a 'buzz' in step with your voice level heard inside the radio. Tram used the plastic film cap because it won't make any noise. The ceramic dielectric in most disc caps can become a tiny piezoelectric loudspeaker, vibrating with the amplitude of the RF passing through it, making noise from your voice audio.

Never did figure out how to predict which disc caps had this bad habit. Just learned to use a film cap like the factory did, but with a higher breakdown-voltage rating. They stay quiet.

Both multi section caps in, one or both may have been replaced in the past as one had a paper label and the other was sprauge with an engraved label. Radio has an old service from creative audio in oklahoma city.1672837560137-1253185452.jpg1672837831421-660764486.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated