• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Transformers

Crusher

May 12, 2007
Louisville, KY
If you are like me and have bins laying around full of amp stuff, here is a little trick I have learned when thening about using used transformers. All you need is about 19 inches of 18 gauge teflon wire and an Inductance meter. Take a transformer out of bin wrap 3 or 4 turns thru transformer. Install leads of inductance meter to each end of wire you just ran thru transformer. Make a note of value given. Grab another and do as above. Then when you find a couple or however many you have that come very close in readings go ahead and use it in your project. The readings should be very very close. Hope this helps a few out there maybe having problems with a home brew amp.

we need more of this kind of info here.

i happen to have a homebrew amp that i would like to try this on, as i have been experimenting with different wrap combinations.
i will need to get an inductance meter, but i like buying that stuff anyway.

just so i have it right; the measured inductance of the input and output transformers should be very close to the same?

please post more amp info if you have the inclination.
always looking to learn more.
loosecannon

For a cheap inductance/ capacitance meter for around $50 "MCMinone" on the web has a meter that is made by TENMA. I have one laying around. If you use the cap. function, make sure to take into account the leads.

Measure say however many 1/2" transformers you have and see which ones give a very close reading. This will be in uH's. When you find a couple or however many you need that match up, there you go. Then do this for the output transformers. Find however many you can that match and there you go.

I got board one day and tested 1/2", 1", 1.25" and up to 2" also with the bigger oversized transformers. Then took readings of 2 turns, 3 turns and 4 turns. I had alot laying around, but most of mine is new and I called up company that I bought from and found out material. Then wrote it down for future reference so that if I get a box in and one of the transformers are cooked, I can take a reading and see if what I have laying around will be a good replacement or if I will have to switch out all on the input/output wherever the bad transformer is at.

ok, guess i misunderstood you a bit.
so, not much use in doing this to a 2 pill.

this applies to building 4 pill and larger amps, if i understand.
cool tip anyway,
later,
loosecannon

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.