• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TRC-457

My large electrolytic cap assortment arrived yesterday. I think the ones I have in that value range are 50v so that will work out perfectly. I think I shall avoid the tantylums. Someone mentioned explosions and fire. Now I am a fan of that but not contained within my radio gear!

Last edited:
2.2 uf at 50 volts is what I change them to as well. Never bothered with putting tantalum ones back in. I've never really understood why they used tantalum for that cap in the first place.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
Those Uniden 858 chassis were very well built at at time when there was a lot less of the cost-cutting nonsense we see nowadays... There's probably a sound reason why they used tantalum for that cap; I'm just not sure what ! Either way I've never had a problem replacing them with regular electrolytic.

Reactions: lonestarbandit
I agree. I'm loving mine. It doesn't have to be a powerhouse I have the box to do that. I'm just loafing it. It's rock steady. No drift no issues. Good bones.

Oofta! And possible side effect, radio may also burn to the ground necessitating a new radio purchase. Winning!

Last edited:
I noticed that CBtricks has a rather poor copy of Sam’s #207 for that radio. I have that book and will post a better version when time allows.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.