• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ts-430s output down kick off radio

My biggest suspects - in order of possibillties are:

1) bad thermal switch (so as not to overlook the obvious)
2) bias resistor is going bad
3) final is about to take a dump - or it has and you are seeing just the driver output on the meter
4) not enough thermal paste.

I think that if you can hear the fan when TX'ing -and the mic gain is all the way down- then some part on one of the boards must have become microphonic. A sure sign of a part ready to go bye-bye...

yep

I lock mine down for several minutes, you know 30 or so when I need to bust up a pile.

Oh and I cried all my tears years ago, now I just say oh well and crack her open and slap a new pair in which I hav'nt had to do with mine the 3 years I've owned it.

there ya go.guess im going to put finals in it.
just whanted to make sure that was the prob.
so i dont wast my mony.
tryen to get a better rig. and one day i will.

so 73s and thanks for all the help. kj4mqa

ok

My biggest suspects - in order of possibillties are:

1) bad thermal switch (so as not to overlook the obvious)
2) bias resistor is going bad
3) final is about to take a dump - or it has and you are seeing just the driver output on the meter
4) not enough thermal paste.

I think that if you can hear the fan when TX'ing -and the mic gain is all the way down- then some part on one of the boards must have become microphonic. A sure sign of a part ready to go bye-bye...

ok thats a good place to look. thank you.i was thinking final but it
could be the thermal switch. the bad fan could have shorted it.or the finals.
the fan was locked down . and i have no idea how long it was talked on like that. 73s kj4mqa

found the prob

i have a ts-430

it kicks off the radio when more than 40 watts output is reached.
had a bad fan. but replaced it and still same prob.
you can key up 50. but if you talk it. shuts down.
if you turn on the proc. it shuts off right then.

any help would be great.

73s
kj4mqa

it was a bad power cord. the ground was bad. put new cord on it
and it cam to life. so thank you all for the help.
this way we all no where to start looking first. 73s kj4mqa bill

good luck fixing this problem if its not the power cord.. when this problem cropped up with my buddy's the easy answer was sell it on ebay stating the problem exists and buying another. My best friend went through this. He has the exact same radio. he sent ti back to yaesu and they did a " diagnosis" and called him back. They have a standard parts package that they want to change no matter what when you send it back. It involves a shitload of transistors including the finals and drivers and some tiny ones you cant even see plus a handful of caps. this was $250 plus shipping if it solved the problem. if it didnt there would be another bench fee$50, and they they have a microprocessor pak with a couple that are preprogrammed they want to solder into the board. this was $500. We decided it still did 40 watts without too much mic gain applied and he uses it to recieve and talk ssb. it lacks the punch it had on am.

he bought another recently from a hamster locally.

ham radios suck for service but perform well when working.
my experience. sorry.

fixed

good luck fixing this problem if its not the power cord.. when this problem cropped up with my buddy's the easy answer was sell it on ebay stating the problem exists and buying another. My best friend went through this. He has the exact same radio. he sent ti back to yaesu and they did a " diagnosis" and called him back. They have a standard parts package that they want to change no matter what when you send it back. It involves a shitload of transistors including the finals and drivers and some tiny ones you cant even see plus a handful of caps. this was $250 plus shipping if it solved the problem. if it didnt there would be another bench fee$50, and they they have a microprocessor pak with a couple that are preprogrammed they want to solder into the board. this was $500. We decided it still did 40 watts without too much mic gain applied and he uses it to recieve and talk ssb. it lacks the punch it had on am.

he bought another recently from a hamster locally.

ham radios suck for service but perform well when working.
my experience. sorry.

the new power cord fixed it it is at 150 am and 200 ssb all the way around.
its good to know i can bye a junk one on ebay. if you can go that nut case price. i cant. 73s kj4mqa bill

Having had more than one TS-430 at one time or another, all I can say is that those output figures are pure 'poo-poo' unless that particular '430 was very heavily modified. With standard finals, no modifications to the PA or audio sections, just can't happen. I would suggest some thought about claims before making very silly ones. Very easy to check! What's the primary current draw, and at what voltage?
Nothing particularly wrong with a TS-430, they are very nice 35 - 40 year old radios. But sorry, they just don't do miracles.
- 'Doc

Having had more than one TS-430 at one time or another, all I can say is that those output figures are pure 'poo-poo' unless that particular '430 was very heavily modified. With standard finals, no modifications to the PA or audio sections, just can't happen. I would suggest some thought about claims before making very silly ones. Very easy to check! What's the primary current draw, and at what voltage?
Nothing particularly wrong with a TS-430, they are very nice 35 - 40 year old radios. But sorry, they just don't do miracles.
- 'Doc
Mine will suck a 20 amp buss in half at 14.2 volts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.