• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ts-430s output down kick off radio

kj4mqa

kj4mqa
Apr 28, 2009
fannin county ga
i have a ts-430

it kicks off the radio when more than 40 watts output is reached.
had a bad fan. but replaced it and still same prob.
you can key up 50. but if you talk it. shuts down.
if you turn on the proc. it shuts off right then.

any help would be great.

73s
kj4mqa
it is fixed was a bad ground wire on the power cord.

Last edited:

Find out where the thermal sensing/shutdown switch is - for starters. If your meter has a temp function on it - use the probe to find out where the heat is.

Are yous sure that the SWR is in the acceptable range?

Either something is going bad - or the heat isn't being dissipated fast enough. It's got to be something along those lines. Having a heat probe would sure help a bunch...

swr good

Find out where the thermal sensing/shutdown switch is - for starters. If your meter has a temp function on it - use the probe to find out where the heat is.

Are yous sure that the SWR is in the acceptable range?

Either something is going bad - or the heat isn't being dissipated fast enough. It's got to be something along those lines. Having a heat probe would sure help a bunch...

yes the swr or 1.2
the prob was worse before i put the fan on it.
it also sounds like a fan running in the back ground even with
the mike gain off??

thanks for the help. 73 kj4mqa

yes the swr or 1.2
the prob was worse before i put the fan on it.
it also sounds like a fan running in the back ground even with
the mike gain off??

thanks for the help. 73 kj4mqa
My voltmeter has temp sensing function; if you don't have one that does - borrow one if you can. Something in the output circuit is obviously getting too hot. Maybe a bias resistor - or a final.

Sounds like a part is becoming 'microphonic', could be a resistor. Tap a few of the parts around the output circuit -very gently- when keyed, until one is found that is excessively noisy. Bingo. Be discerning and careful when tapping; otherwise you may pick the wrong part.
'Care' - is the keyword...

BTW-Is there enough heat sink thermal grease between the final and the heatsink? Re-apply a dab - and be sure.

plenty adde

My voltmeter has temp sensing function; if you don't have one that does - borrow one if you can. Something in the output circuit is obviously getting too hot. Maybe a bias resistor - or a final.

Sounds like a part is becoming 'microphonic', could be a resistor. Tap a few of the parts around the output circuit -very gently- when keyed, until one is found that is excessively noisy. Bingo. Be discerning and careful when tapping; otherwise you may pick the wrong part.
'Care' - is the keyword...

BTW-Is there enough heat sink thermal grease between the final and the heatsink? Re-apply a dab - and be sure.

it had a bad fan and the guy i got it from kept on tallking on it.
i replaced the fan. it got better .and went from 25-to 40 watts.
before it kicks out.
so i guess its the finals.

thanks for the help 73s kj4mqa

Are you on AM or SSB? Like most rigs of this type, the 430 is only rated at 60W AM. If you're not using a good external meter your readings could easily be off several watts.

I'd never run a TS-430 more than 45-50 watts, even if the power supply would let me. It wouldn't let me for very long.

both

Are you on AM or SSB? Like most rigs of this type, the 430 is only rated at 60W AM. If you're not using a good external meter your readings could easily be off several watts.

I'd never run a TS-430 more than 45-50 watts, even if the power supply would let me. It wouldn't let me for very long.

ssb it shuts down at 20 watts on a dosy and my mfj
and it runs 50 and shuts down on am.
the more audio you put in the faster it shuts down.
ssb with the mike gain up 75% it shuts off as soon as you key it up.

My ts-430 will do 165 watts am/cw/ssb's

A typical TS-430 that hasn't been modified is rated at 100 watts CW/SSB, and I think 25 watts AM. If it does any more than that it has been seriously modified. Even so, don't count on much more than it's typical ratings for any length of time. It was never intended for more than about 100 watts CW or 25 watts AM, which are both 100% duty cycle. It's your radio, run it like you want. But when you've wrung all the snot out of it and it dies, don't cry over being left with a pile of snot.
- 'Doc

ok

A typical TS-430 that hasn't been modified is rated at 100 watts CW/SSB, and I think 25 watts AM. If it does any more than that it has been seriously modified. Even so, don't count on much more than it's typical ratings for any length of time. It was never intended for more than about 100 watts CW or 25 watts AM, which are both 100% duty cycle. It's your radio, run it like you want. But when you've wrung all the snot out of it and it dies, don't cry over being left with a pile of snot.
- 'Doc

thats all fine and good byt ssb shuts down on keyup.
not all about the watts. i really dont care what it does as long as it does it.
shutting down since i got it. just dont cut it.
and as you can tell im not a whiner. im trying to fix it.and use it.
wright now i cant use it.

so thanx 4 the help. 73s kj4mqa.

- 'Doc

I lock mine down for several minutes, you know 30 or so when I need to bust up a pile.

Oh and I cried all my tears years ago, now I just say oh well and crack her open and slap a new pair in which I hav'nt had to do with mine the 3 years I've owned it.

thats all fine and good byt ssb shuts down on keyup.
not all about the watts. i really dont care what it does as long as it does it.
shutting down since i got it. just dont cut it.
and as you can tell im not a whiner. im trying to fix it.and use it.
wright now i cant use it.

so thanx 4 the help. 73s kj4mqa.

Is the radio blowing the fuse? you say it shuts down, is it the fuse or the ps crowbar breaking?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.