• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS590 Any solutions yet?

Usually that power spike upon key up issue can be solved by the addition of an external ALC voltage as most radios seem to have an issue with the internal ALC voltage acting fast enough. I tried it with my FT-857 and the spike was there with internal ALC control but gone with the addition of an external ALC voltage.

http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php?topic=31251.10;wap2

There is no problem with low average SSB output, just a long line of idiots using the wrong measuring equipment.
There have been many respected amateurs and owners of the 590s who have researched the low average ssb issue, some are very experienced people who have been in the hobby considerable years and have experimented with both hardware and software solutions on this device. A shameful way you have described them. Some are happy with the output others aren't, but don't categorize amateurs in this way simply because they have a different view to your own.
That is why anything but PEP is meaningless for measuring SSB.
Really a totally incorrect statement. A PEP meter will do what it is supposed to do and measure PEP. The pep on a 590 for instance is 100w and and a pep meter will show that.
PAR or average power is different and that will not be ideally indicated when reading PEP. You will find different meters have different uses and if you try to measure PAR on a PEP meter it may look pretty but will not highlight your particular problem so well.

Scope VS Wattmeter

Here are some pictures I took today, showing output on my 590 with compressor on. 100W CW with wattmeter and scope, then 100w SSB. Wattmeter reads about 35 watts, but you see full deflection on the scope. Last picture is close up, showing complex waveform of the speech. Wattmeter read about 35 watts, when speaking the word, "four". Sorry for the fuzzy pictures, best I could do with Nikon Coolpix L20.

Attachments

• 100WCW.jpg
    100WCW.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 179
  • 100WSSB.jpg
    100WSSB.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 172
  • FOUR.jpg
    FOUR.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 241
Travelling in my mobile today, and I talked with a fella running a TS-590. He was in Ranier, Washington, but I cannot remember his call sign. He told me that he did not have any outboard audio equipment, and he was running a Electrovoice microphone with some of the settings on the rig to enhance the audio. This guy (Jerry) sounded fantastic to my ears. He was running a hex beam, at about 75 watts. I've heard plenty of ESSB stations, but this guy really had great audio nailed down perfectly. Just wish I could remember his call sign!

Brett

the video perfectly demonstrates what many people are complaining about,

anybody with eyes and ssb experience should be able to see that the ft1000 has significantly more avg talk power, the 590 is lame in comparison,

the 200w meter scale helps mask the difference but its still plain to see.

of course i know a mechanical meter can't keep up, the characteristics of the meter are the same for both radio's,
the op is claiming both radios are about the same on that meter when they are clearly not the same.

They're within a few watts, an amount which would be completely unnoticeable at the other end of the QSO. Even if the difference was half as much again, it would still be unnoticeable at the other end.

anybody with eyes and ssb experience should be able to see that the ft1000 has significantly more avg talk power, the 590 is lame in comparison, .

I agree with your comments Bob.

There are many rigs both modern and old which have substantially higher average talk power than the 590. The difference is noticeable on air and it's a great pity that the important 'average talk-power' rating is not specified.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.