• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ts830s 11 meter mod

You say "honor" and I say blasphemy. :sad: IMHO classics should be stock. That's what makes them classic.

Not me, man! I had a Craftsman 7.5 HP lawnmower with 4 forward gears that I modified to do (quite literally) 25 MPH.

Now THAT is modification.

I appreciate everyone's "position" or "take" on modification, hacking or whatever... But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

My personal take on it is that you quite literally can't take it with you when you croak. So why not enjoy "it" on 11M now ... it doesn't have any bearing of the cosmetics of the radio, either. At 20 feet, I dare anyone to tell me the difference between a "hacked" rig and and a "stock" rig, precluding some drill-happy moron hasn't had at the case and installed a bunch of switches in not-so-obtrusive places.

As I said in another thread... "run what 'cha brung..."

Rob

Reactions: Xjeepguy
I bought a ts830s with a very elaborate 11m conversion. I only use it on 40 and 80 meters. But I tried it on 10 and 11 one day.
It didn't really work. Not much power out and no rx really. 10m isn't much better. I get the feeling this mod never worked well. Probably had to pick one of the other there's a labret set of ribbon wires with rainbow colors going to diodes on the display unit and a switch on the back of the radio I have no idea what else it does but it doesn't work on 11 meters an my 10 meter out put is really bad. but I don't use that band very much. this is the last radio I would want to mod for 11 it's just way too difficult. I got it for $200 because of the fact someone modified it nobody else wanted to buy it but it works great on the lower bands I had an 820 and then I bought this radio this is a lot better of a radio than the 820 but they're both really great radios I also have a ts-450 I like that radio quite a bit as well but seriously it's easier to buy a new radio where you just clip a diode or a ft101b like my Bravo it already has 11 and you don't even have to modify it ....
it was designed to have it because at the time that that radio came out, the 11 meter band was an amateur Band still in Japan.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
why would you put such a great radio on 11 meters
I suppose some people will do it to any radio just for the challenge my radio is a good example of how it didn't turn out right and it is quite labor intense from seeing what's been done to mine and then for some reason it still doesn't work but I would never use a radio that doesn't already have a.m. to do something like this in fact why even bother when there are so many other Great Radios out there that are designed for this a Uniden Grant or a 148 made in the Philippines will almost outperform any radio you can find on receive

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?