• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

tube watts louder than transistor watts ???

There is still something left out of all this.
If referencing an AL80 amplifier; it is only an amplifier not a plate modulated stage.
In cathode drive, the driving power minus losses is passes on through and adds to the 'amplified signal' developed from grid modulating current flow from the DC power supplied to the tube.
For AM use with this amplifier, you can only run this amplifier to about 150 watts of carrier and talk for short periods of time without overdissapating the tube's plate.
Why: 3000 volts times .150 amp = 450 watts DC 'carrier' power. The tube's plate dissapation is not rated for much more than this.
When the modulated drive signal increases with speech, the average tube dissapation goes up greatly and begins to 'average shift' to higher plate temperatures as seen by the plate continuing to get brighter and brighter with key down time and no chance to cool.
This means you get 150 watts x 4 = 600 watts peak envolope power at the most, safely, using this amplifier in the AM mode, not the 1kw it is rated for in SSB.
The other part of all this is total conversion efficiency.
At 600 watts 'peak' output and assming 50% efficiency, the total 'peak power' DC input would be close to 1200 watts DC.
On SSB, at 1kw output, the DC power input is about 2000 watts on speech peaks.
To further back this up; at 240 volts ac line input, the line is fused at 10 amps. 240vac x 10 amps is 2400 watts or at 120 vac the fuseing is at 20 amps. Both are a 2400 watt rateing so there is some capacity to spare without blowing fuses on speech peaks at full drive limits.
As to one type of power being louder than another, please show this in any power formula if anyone thinks there is!
It does not exist either technically or by ear on an equal set of test parameters between the two types of circuits driven to the same percentage of modulation and power.
Most humans cannot tell a difference/change in audio level of less than 3db because the human ear loudness perception works on an a compressed or nonlinear scale up or down in volume.
For example, volume controls in many audio applications have what is known as an 'audio' taper resistance change as they are turned to better match the human hearing response to loudness changes.
These things cannot be talked about so simply by the uniformed let alone passed from one to another as incorrect hear-sey..

Last edited:
i used the al-80b just because its a popular tube amp and i wanted a real amp for the sake of conversation .

You see how little you really know there BM.
I've seen your silly threads on other boards.
Please, stay here and give the rest a break!
As for the AL80, now you know a 'little' more about it than you did before.
Reason I replied as I did was because there was a number of things left floating that lead to miss information about any amplifier's use.
It was part of this thread so it was answered as such.
Your board name says a lot!
Grow up!

Reactions: 1 person
Grow up!

your approval is not required or requested .

Attachments

• annoy you.jpg
    annoy you.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 74
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
Please feel free to refrain from commenting on any of Booty's threads or any other "silly" threads if it upsets you so much. You can even choose to ignore his posts if you wish. Lots of folks use that function.:D

As for the AL80, now you know a 'little' more about it than you did before.
Reason I replied as I did was because there was a number of things left floating that lead to miss information about any amplifier's use.
It was part of this thread so it was answered as such.
Grow up!

Reactions: 5 people
Please feel free to refrain from commenting on any of Booty's threads or any other "silly" threads if it upsets you so much. You can even choose to ignore his posts if you wish. Lots of folks use that function.:D

CK really? Can you remember the last time you ignored the Booty?
Most men spend the better part of their life chasing the booty.

Maybe KM3F does not like the booty.

Reactions: 2 people
pootie-tang+hero.jpg

For AM use with this amplifier, you can only run this amplifier to about 150 watts of carrier and talk for short periods of time without overdissapating the tube's plate.
Why: 3000 volts times .150 amp = 450 watts DC 'carrier' power. The tube's plate dissapation is not rated for much more than this.
I think if you have 3000vdc @ 150ma for 450 watts of input, even at 60% efficiency and a 270 watt carrier, that leaves 180 watts for the plate to dissipate ...... or did I miss something very important :confused:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.