• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tubes or Transistors?

JJim

Jul 2, 2005
www.yoursaftnet.com
I have a friend who has a KLV-200V linear amp. I am not looking to talk to Africa on a regular basis. What I do want is to throw some power from time to time. I am just not well versed in amplifiers. Does anybody have one of these amps? or know anything about them?

Please let me know

Thanx

The KLV-200 is made in Italy. Has only one tube in it. If your radio is a stock, legal "40-channel CB"-type radio, you should be okay. It helps to be able to set your carrier power when running an amplifier on AM. If you can't turn the radio's AM carrier power down, there's the risk the amplifier will push more carrier power than is good for it. More than 30 to 40 Watts carrier power (coming OUT of the KLV-200) risks overheating the tube, and reducing its life.

If you will be using a larger radio, one with two final transistors like a Galaxy/Connex/General, this amplifier is probably too small, unless you ALWAYS select "Low" on the 200's High/Low selector switch.

If you have a radio with more power than the stock, legal 40-channel CB, a bigger amplifier with two or more tubes is probably a better match to it.

Consider also that a small linear that you feed too much driver power into will usually cause more interference than a larger amplifier, one that is not busting a gut.

If you have any interference issues with the neighbors' phones, VCRs, computer speakers and such, an amplifier will nearly ALWAYS make this worse.

If you have no such problems with the radio alone, an amplifier may bleed into nearby devices that the radio alone will not. You never know until you try.

How much power do you want to see???

How much money do you want to spend???

Tell me those 2 things,,,,and i can tell you what you need to do ....

Oh yes,,,,what kind of base antenna do u have and what is your swrs????
As well as what kind of coax are you using and how many feet of it?????

AMPOWER

I have a KLV-200V. Nomad is right on the money. It is an excellent little amp for a single final radio that hasn't been peaked. I use it with a Roadpro Titan II RPSY-485, which is a lower powered clone of the Magnum 257. Driving it with about 8-10 watts peak on SSB yields a little over 100 watts SSB.

My Current Setup

Sorry Guys,

I never indicated some of the most important factors.

Radio = Cobra 148 NW ST "out-of-the-box" Only the modulation has been kicked up a slight bit.
Antenna = M400 Ground Plane (tip is 30' off of the ground and soon to be 55')
SWR = < 1.1:1
Microphone = Galaxy Echo Talk Power Mic (Base model)
Coax = 40' of RG8/U

The power that I am looking for is approx. 150-200 watts AM and at least 200+ watts USB / LSB. The main reason for the high power on AM is because I have a problem with a group of PUNKS (actually a$$hole$) in the S. Philadelphia area who overpower the South Jersey area that I live in. When they crank up their powers I cant even talk with my brother 3 towns over.

What I dont want is to pay $150.00 + for the amp and then another $130-$150 for the power supply. However, my budget is very low since I am currently a "professional cb'er" (out of work). I also found from a website that I can purchase a brand new KLV-350 amp for $195.00 + S&H.

If anybody knows of a better or even less expensive alternative, please, by all means, let me know.

Thanx
Jim

you need to get the bottom feedpoint of the antenna up above 36 feet. dont worry about were the top of antenna is. were the coax goes in to the antenna is the part you want above 36 feet or higher.

that second amp sound like a good deal. you will not find another base amp for that price and that ouput power.

f

Higher is definitely better. But we have a bunch of folks around here who only have their antennas up, say 25' or so and they talk and rx up a storm. So you can do a nice job at lower heights. BUT, HIGHER WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE. My omni is up 37' from the base of antenna and I do a great job, it will soon be up about 60' - I'll let everyone know if the 23' really makes a big difference.

LoneWolf TN

dxChat
Help Users