• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner +3 disassembly help please

Time Bomb

Feb 15, 2016
I’ve googled but came up with nothing. I have an almost disassembled Turner +3 mic. I need to replace the element but am stuck on how to disassmble it. Anyone with experience on this, is appreciated. Thanks and 73s
5EB3762F-1A22-415C-88AB-783AE7624527.jpeg
D8BBA7A5-B640-4037-ACB3-93F6D0612035.jpeg

Time Bomb,
I went through the same exercise a few years ago (Turner +3 bad element swap) and believe I used a heat gun to allow me to carefully peal the outer ring from the "triangular" cast aluminum support using a "pocket screwdriver" and working slowly. After replacement I believe I pushed the outer ring (I believe the outer ring is aluminum) closed using my fingers or rolling (with moderate pressure) along my benchtop or a combination of both methods.

Good Luck.

David

I have had them with weak output or next to no output before. I have found that when the elements have been exposed to whatever extremes they have seen it usually makes the diaphragm much easier to remove without destroying it. Often I find the contacts that hold the ceramic bar in place have oxidized. This is if these use spring bars to hold the bar. (I have yet to take one of these apart, as all I have are good) Once clean you can remount the diaphragm and fix it to the center pin. I have done many, many Astatics etc. I will have to try a Turner sometime soon.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
Ok i got it off. The element was definitely bad. Did all the usual, obvious troubleshooting before i disassembled it, i.e. mic wiring, battery, broken wire cold solder joint tested the caps (found 3 bad ones). Sent the metal out to be sandblasted then powder coated, ordered the caps and a relay contact cleaning tool, as well as a upgrade mic element. Thanks all!

Reactions: Dmans
Ok i got it off. The element was definitely bad. Did all the usual, obvious troubleshooting before i disassembled it, i.e. mic wiring, battery, broken wire cold solder joint tested the caps (found 3 bad ones). Sent the metal out to be sandblasted then powder coated, ordered the caps and a relay contact cleaning tool, as well as a upgrade mic element. Thanks all!
What is the upgrade mic element?

I got an element from the same guy I used in a Turner Expander 400 hand mic. super nice guy, only problem I had was finding a place for the extra wires.

Reactions: Time Bomb
Send me your original element. I will send you a good one I have before you were to go the condenser mic route. Just saying, the condensers have their place, but the mojo is not even the same….

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.