• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TVI

tracker1962

Sep 1, 2010
I have searched this site and not found what I am looking for.
Maybe not reading far back enough? I don't know? Any help would be appreciated!

I have been using my 2 meter rig with a homemade copper "J" pole with no problems for 7-8 months now.
Got a HF rig and set up a 5/8 wave ground plane up before the snow flew.
Yesterday I get a knock at the door and today a threat to get the, get this, the CRTC called on me.
Anyway, my neighbor thinks that their sat. system and TV's are not at fault.
I"m THE PROBLEM !
Any advise ?
tracker

How high is your 5/8 wave mounted, and what frequency are you xmitting on?
Do you have a decent ground, RF and DC?
How much power are you running, and have you set the mic gain so the ALC is within the operating parameters?
What is the CRTC?

First off go to this link and download some interference solving info and read it.

Spectrum Management and Telecommunications - Solving Interference Problems

Next, the only thing you have to fear is the crazy neighbor. Your neighbor has already demonstrated he has no clue about what to do. You as a Canadian amateur radio operator are not governed by the CRTC but rather Industry Canada. The CRTC is the regulating body of commercial broadcasting and media and has nothing to do with amateur radio operators. Trust me on this, I am an amateur radio operator and come from a background in commercial AM/FM radio broadcasting. As long as your station is operating legally you are fine. You neighbor needs to read the notice on his TV that mentions the fact that his TV may not cause any interference but must accept any and all interference from legal outside sources. Even though the TV may be at fault it is still good neighborly practice to work together to solve the issue.

One question, you said you got an HF radio and a 5/8 groundplane. What frequency were you operating on and what antenna were you using when the interference occurred?

Thanks for answers, or should I say questions.
This is why I came here as I know help will come.
I hope this thread will help others as well, thread so named for quick search on the forum.

Yes, I am a licensed Canadian operator with status of honors.
Yes I am running legal.
My 2 meter rig running between 25-50 watts does not seem to be the problem so I will leave that out.

I recently acquired a Yaesu FT-840 and before the snow started here in Eastern Ontario, I put up one of my old 5/8 CB ground plane and shortened it for 10 meter.
I operate on the 10 meter band with about 45-60 watts. I turn it up to 100+ watts or so for DX which is not often.
I have not had time to ground the antenna properly but it is sitting on a steel pole with the pipe about 3-4 inches sunk into the soil now.
The antenna is about 20'+ from the bottom.
I have not grounded the rig either. I know I should and this is where I will start.

I give myself no TVI in my house but for a cheap stereo in 1 room.
My TV is an old 52" back screen projector type.
The satellite installation was done by myself as I am also an avid satellite viewer and is not grounded and by all installation standards,, poor.
My HR2510, when I had it running on 10 meters didn't give me TVI either.
When I get it back from Rogerbird hopefully next week I will try it again.

Now coming from the CB days and as a lot of us migrating to other bands, we find, as always, that WE are the problem and not the non radio TV watcher.
In the CB days, I have used filters, yadda-yadda, to no avail to appease others as a responsible operator.
Talk of getting THEIR stuff checked comes with a quick "backlash" response that the problem lies with me and not them as everything was fine before I came along. BTW I say that loosely as I have been here 20+ years.

I hope answers will chime in and others with the same problem will find this thread useful.
My goal is to take opposite action to my neighbor to call me in and me come up with a clean bill of health and him being told to "suck it up".
Otherwise is the fact, I would rather solve the problem and everyone be happy!

Edit: I will E-mail my government and see what they say on this as well.

Thank you all in advance.. tracker.

If all else fails I found these to work very,very well for such problems, radioshack

If you interference is via their power lines then it's a totally different animal and you may have to deal with a different entity.

As a licensed operator, I would make sure that everything is grounded and running as clean as possible. After that, the ball is in their court to fix their equipment.

He said he was licensed.

But he failed to include basic electrical practices in his setup which indicates one wanting instant gratification "getting on the air" without doing the footwork involved to reach that goal = POSER.

But he failed to include basic electrical practices in his setup which indicates one wanting instant gratification "getting on the air" without doing the footwork involved to reach that goal = POSER.

Everyone starts somewhere. It's better that we help him solve his problem than berate him for it. Unless you would rather have this site turn into the same nonsense that goes on some of the other ham radio sites.

I can get my 2 meter and HF signal into television in my bedroom sometimes. It's the only one that picks it up and the whole system is on DirecTV. In my case, it's actually the TV that's picking it up, not the satellite receiver. In my case, adding RFI power strips and choking the coax shield solves it. You may have to help your neighbor do the same on his TV's. It's probably really his responsibility to do this himself, but if you want to have a good relationship with your neighbor, you might have to help him out. If he refuses to let you help, well then...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.