• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

twist mode

Do you live up to your username on the road?

Glad someone took a clue.

Knowing AVERAGE MPH is the thing. Once one “sees” how faster, isn't . . .

. . it’s EZ to optimize.
Make the best trade offs.

One ain’t running 70. Be lucky to average 63 most places. But drop to 64 and still average almost 60. The shorter spread is what pays.

As Safety and Fuel Economy run an almost identical track, it’s even more incentive. Very very easy to stay alone, far from others.

And, as someone does it for a living, 64-mph or under means less fatigue. A little longer for the trip, but not as tired at end. This is big.

Yeah, I run slower. 58-9/mph on US Hwys. 62 on Interstate. All stops planned in advance. Never off cruise. Etc. Timed to the minute more or less. Do it automatically.

I manage the traffic to get them around me. It’s easy enough once one knows patterns. Stupid is predictable.

Run the numbers for a trip. Has to be a trip of 300-miles before higher speed pays off. A multi day trip isn’t made better by high miles + high speed.

The 555 Triple Nickle has been the best vehicle I’ve owned. First two sets of tires have gone 250k. More than 6/32 remaining. One brake re-reline. All else original except shocks & u-joints. Repairs at $500 lifetime (past maintenance).

Age of the truck has caught up to miles so there’s plenty to do. Maybe it’ll get done before I kick off.

Sad to me the new ones are so poor. Any brand. No faster thru quarter mile and fuel economy no better. Pulling same loads I did when oilfield hotshot (different truck).

But the Class 8 tractors are night and day better. Power & Economy. Drive-ability.

I can bobtail in a 21,000-lb, 12’ tall Pete with twice the engine of a Detroit pickup . . . and hit 14-mpg.

Many of my loads have me between 50-60k gross. Where I’m seeing same MPG they are with typically cruddy 5’ers hooked up.

I’d sell a new one you gave it to me.

Last edited:
my F250 is a 2006 with the 6.0 powerstroke a lot of people trash talk the 6.0 but knock on wood I've had good luck with it.

Have one out back, watch those O-rings on the injectors. Replace with Viton if needed. That is a major fail in that motor. The 6.0 will run like a bat out of hell, but when it fails it stops. I'm sure you are familiar with the rebuild, especially the head work and high end head bolts required. The 7.3 is a better build, multiple options with parts. Fuel pumps, starters, alternators, and injectors. Most can be acquired junkyard'n, if you know what to look for.

Baby that 6.0 and it will run well. I have about 198k on '07 ram 3500 5.9. Obvious things fail......power steering, brakes, water pumps, radiators....all of which I have sitting on the porch waiting on me to install. Needs to get done soon, Hurricane Season be here soon. Need to be able to sky out with the camper and make that run when the threat exists.

Have one out back, watch those O-rings on the injectors. Replace with Viton if needed. That is a major fail in that motor. The 6.0 will run like a bat out of hell, but when it fails it stops. I'm sure you are familiar with the rebuild, especially the head work and high end head bolts required. The 7.3 is a better build, multiple options with parts. Fuel pumps, starters, alternators, and injectors. Most can be acquired junkyard'n, if you know what to look for.

Baby that 6.0 and it will run well. I have about 198k on '07 ram 3500 5.9. Obvious things fail......power steering, brakes, water pumps, radiators....all of which I have sitting on the porch waiting on me to install. Needs to get done soon, Hurricane Season be here soon. Need to be able to sky out with the camper and make that run when the threat exists.

FWIW, my evac plan from Corpus Christi was to run FM-624 to Cotulla. Then hang a right on US-83 to go around the Edwards Plateau to the west.

Friends and family in both Victoria & Corpus area got trapped in terrible jams for Katrina, Rita & Ike.

Everyone between SA and Houston in a big funnel. Especially when the RGV empties out.

You might be able to cut across that flow at a right angle to get west of IH37.

Oilfield boom has changed this since 2009, but northbound towards Junction, TX still gold.

Reactions: G GOLLY WAlly
Naw, none of that studio-computer generated stuff.

A Texan with his great friend from Louisiana. Is more like it

Those roads at low speeds my towing average can get up to 17-mpg with my 63’ rig.

I need a fifty gallon replacement tank to cover worst scenario: Get 150-miles inland from Coast for normal services. Figure 3-5/mpg due to heavy idle time. So, that, plus a few cans ought to do it.

Jack & Louis make timing the shift intricacies easier.

Last edited:
Well after a hitch that I started out on nights, got switched over to days, sent us to a rig 2 hrs further away, then back, made us work an extra day, finally got started home left Liberty Pennsylvania at 6pm it's now 4:16 in the morning and I've been up 24hrs. So now I'm gonna take a nap, I'm about 45 miles from Indianapolis Indiana can't drive anymore at the moment think it best I get off the road for a while. :sleep:

Reactions: Redbeard U812
A 400-mile day is always adequate.
White Line Fever sets in at that point.

64-mph, lets the fools flow around you. Keeps them far away. Easy on your vehicle. Greater peripheral vision. Your country: See It!

The poster child for Cain’t Fix Stupid is on the Interstate with vehicles directly ahead, athwart and astern.

Never allow that to happen. 300’ is adequate space. A football field.

Stop every two hours for a 15” break.

After four hours for a one-hour break (meal, fuel, whatever)

Plan those stops in advance. Before engine start. No deviations from that.

Execute the legs. Day takes care of itself. Last minute decisions don’t work. Fatigue is the problem. Mental, Emotional, Spiritual. Using Physical as stand-in is fatal use. Wrong use.

Anxiety about “gotta hurry “ will have Very Bad Consequences one time.
Only takes one time.

Like being shot.
As that’s the LITERAL equivalent.

The Race is Not to the Swift.

Your better route was catch IH79S as it comes down from Erie to
IH64W at Charleston.

IH64W with a waypoint of Dyersburg, TN. Cross the Big River and IH55S to catch IH40W at Memphis.

This is a VERY pleasant, low-traffic route.

Then to home. Say hi! to Rattlesnake and the boys at OKC on AM-19.

Run Hard = Get Tired Faster.

Run Smart is only way to make it as truck driver. Oilfield workers get killed regularly doing it as you are. Military are even greater fools.

Plan.

Transportation has many costs. Fill in kk the blanks (your stories are too damned funny; don’t let your readership down).

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard U812
Got me some sleep, and now my buddy Shane is behind the wheel, He's had more sleep than me so he should be good plus he's gotta listen to me yap. He talked to me most of the trip, I'm pretty good as long as I'm flapping my gums it's when it gets quite I start getting sleepy. You're right there Slowmover, I push the envelope to much, gonna bite me one day if I don't quit. I'm ready to go back to factory work or something where I'm home every day, this oil field stuff is for the young bucks unless you're setting in an office, and that's not gonna happen.

FWIW, my evac plan from Corpus Christi was to run FM-624 to Cotulla. Then hang a right on US-83 to go around the Edwards Plateau to the west.

Friends and family in both Victoria & Corpus area got trapped in terrible jams for Katrina, Rita & Ike.

Everyone between SA and Houston in a big funnel. Especially when the RGV empties out.

You might be able to cut across that flow at a right angle to get west of IH37.

Oilfield boom has changed this since 2009, but northbound towards Junction, TX still gold.

My last Exodus was Harvey. Rockport, Sinton, IH 37 to Three Rivers. Boondock at State Park. 72 out to Tilden. Lost a wheel on camper somewhere, had to emergency out in oilfield with NASCAR precision, unhook, run to find a replacement wheel/tire/& studs in next town (Pearsall). Back to camper, install. FM-140 due west, average speed 45 mph, bad road but no traffic. Made it to Brackettville, boondocked at Kickapoo State Park, back out to main road. Blew Power Steering pump, down that two lane to Brackett stopped at Valreo so Grieg could get fuel. He gets pulled over by DPS right at the station for no tag. A nice lady pulls up in a tiedye T-shirt and asks if we are needing a RV spot. I was just plotting course for Del Rio, and steering in a loaded Ram 3500 4x4 ain't the best pulling 14k. Fort Clark Springs was a memorable experience. The run was stressful, we had radios rolling the whole way, why Grieg thought my wheel was a hog running behind my camper was just crazy, but we found it a week later.

You weren't Escaping - your were experiencin' a Get_away_from_it_all - Vacation!
Yup! Stayed at Fort Clark for a month. The guy that ran the restaurant at the golf course was from New Orleans, he got out of there for Katrina. Lots of history there, last stop for water during wagon train days. McKenzies Raiders, not the old TV show. Nice Las Moras River. Trails everywhere. Was turned into a residential/ historical site by Brown and Root when they raised it for materials war time. Biggest darn spring fed pool I ever did see. A bar. Also the mentioned restaurant. The Jug Store was just outside the gate, for those who like adult beverages. Cleanest water I ever tasted out of Texas. A gun range. CBP everywhere with Blackhawk choppers, evening entertainment while enjoying adult beverages and cleaning weapons........just incase. Deer, Axis, Turkey. Wish I had collected some Mesquite pods, can make beans from those. Brought home every jug I had full of that good water, at least 20 gal.

Made it home about 6pm central time, that was one horrible drive, I think my tailbone was sitting on the floorboard by the time I crossed into Oklahoma, at least it felt like it.

To consider (by anyone):

The “plan” is to arrive home rested.

On arrival one sets immediately to work

Not a fun prospect, right?

But what if problems were such it was the case?

1). Delaying rest, food, vehicle maintenance and the like — shoving it into the future — is very likely the true source of any of a number of traffic accidents.

2). In the days of transport by horse one killed the animals in using a brutal pace.

3). There are physical limits which are reasonable.

I cover a little over 500-miles in 9-10/hours daily. Out of fourteen possible. There’s nothing restful about it. It’s work.

I’ve also been crossing the country by car since 1962.
400-miles is MORE than adequate on a multi-day trip.

Time for rest & relaxation can be done. Hotels can be found where overnight rates are low. Some have refrigerators & microwaves.

There is no savings to avoid decent accommodations. A truck stop shower is $16. A meal at Denny’s will wind up being $20. Both of which could have been folded into a hotel bill. And — as sleeping in a car or pickup isn’t ever restful — the hotel is cheaper.

4). Thus; an early start and an early stop are the thing. Low traffic volume and being ahead of crowds to eat & sleep. To do everything reasonable (drive, rest break, fuel, eat, etc) in a 400-mile day will consume 12-hours. Mine takes 14-hours or more . . . and a ten-hour rest period ISN'T restful enough.

5). “Drive until tired”, is for the ignorant (their first trip).
Afterwards, it defines who is stupid.

The miles covered isn’t the thing. It’s in being able to deal with the unexpected while at speed. Fatigue lengthens reaction time. The hesitation from disbelief is what is at stake. Half a beat late (is too much).

The arrogance of American men believing they “are good drivers” won’t pass a test of five miles. City or Country. Odds which are statistically-validated. Television pours poison eagerly drunk.

Take away the high quality/prevalence of signage, road-markings, lighting, and roadside-amenities and these American men fall flat on their faces.

Their self-sufficiency is a sham.

Their dependence on others is absolute. Being somewhat better behind the wheel than the legally-retarded is nothing to crow about.

Roads made easier (post-1960) never precluded having a plan.
Using Limits. Maintaining balance.

6). Commuter miles DON’T count as “experience” towards road travel. Inside the region where one lives and works is familiarity Contempt. I know what Im doing. The retarded “think” likewise.
True thinking isn’t involved. It’s emotion.

To walk home from within one’s region isn’t at all the same as to walk home 600-miles.

The first has a good chance of success. (Familiarity and people willing to help).

The second stretches “success” to a breaking point.
As it’s not a few days of walking, it’s weeks.

Is 64-mph (below commercial traffic) “too slow”?
Not compared to walking.

7). Each day’s traverse is a leap. Not guaranteed that one will clear the high jump bar. The pleasure of the accomplishment is in landscapes different from home. Not the next guys rear bumper.

The reward for doing well is in being places we don’t live. With space while moving to take in the scenery.

Slaves see nothing. Take their ghetto with them wherever they go. Always on someone else’s business. Determined to put personal burdens on everyone around them.

8). Having a radio is a break from self-imposed monotony (failure to plan), and from loneliness. Are the two the same?

Left to their own devices, Americans today are the sheep of which they were rightfully contemptuous not three generations ago when it comes to travel by personal vehicle.

A plan, frees one.

9). Responsibility to family DOES NOT mean skimping on rest & food while underway and FAR FROM HOME. It means almost the opposite. Plan WELL.

The expendable (deplorable) ACT such that we know them.

10). Were I so motivated I’d lay good money on being able to not only surprise you while both of us are underway, but to ENRAGE you. And my actions never worse than being in a grey zone.

The attention you pay to traffic overtaking you is corollary to your failure to plan the day. To have failed to plan the trip.

That rage is reflection of your shallowness.
Everything lost in a split-second.

But a good plan had that in mind.
Addressed weaknesses.
Informed each mile.

To arrive at one’s destination unable to work — tired, hungry, (car) dirty, unshaven, etc — means the responsibility was simply too much.

Failure to adapt.

As travel by car is common, don’t allow contempt to welcome failure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.