• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Two questions on cooling fans?

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
First has anyone ever taken a household box fan and made a shroud and piping to pipe it into an amp? They tend to be rather quite and they move a large volume of air at a lower velocity. Velocity though can be steeped up in the same way you steep up hdralic pressure in a free fall hydraulic circuit where you use gravity and ever shrinking tubing size to increase pressure. In this case shringing the tubing would increase the velocity of the air. If you kept the fan speed at low to medium you would have a very quite solution for cooling high powered amps.

When I younger I do a lot of import tuning and some racing as well both sanctioned racing and street racing. Using Electric cooling fans, electric water pumps and such often gained a lot of horse power. Seems like these same types of all in one fan and shroud might work well on an amp too. On a car you only need a fan for speeds bellow 35mph's once above that speed you have more air flow then you need. Again they turn slower and move more volume. I have no idea how loud or quite they would be though. Just an idea.

I am not buying the Muffin fan thing for most tubes especially in the 800+ watt range. Sure a muffin fan or two might help but not going to be up tot he task of really keeping the tubes bellow 220°C where most of them start to have seal issues.

I do think that a muffin fan makes sense for the bottom of a tube to keep the socket pins cool on most of the Triode Russian tubes with home made sockets so long as you have a way for the air to get at them!

If you do not have a pressurized socket like some of the Eimac ones then I think it makes more sense to move more volume of air then it does to try and reach a pressure @ X volume because most encloser's are anything but air tight and donot channel the air in the best way for the given amount of air pressuer and volume.

On top of that how many people have a calibrated anemometer(sp) basically glass tube filled with dyed water to measure the airflow at give pressure. You can make one easy enough but it is still kind of silly to expect anyone to go to that length.

So if you can not easily pressurize the system in a way that is very specific and you can not give each area it's own cooling design high volume of air makes a lot of sense and use a prope to make sure that under your hardest usage cycle you have the tubes bellow their operating limit. The probe though needs to be on the tube not in the air flow coming out of the tube. In home and commercial heating and air-conditioning no one goes for high pressure they go for high volume. Like wise in aircraft and automobiles again no one goes for high pressure air they go by volume needed to cool the parts.

Air at high pressures is always noisy as can be because you would need a huge huge fan to build up enough pressure at low speeds so what do they do they take a squirel cage and spin it at 3000 rpms or faster! That is the worst possible way to make something quite. Now in a commercial applications it makes sense because the amp and it's cooling system is not even close to the guys in the booth with the mic's and people talking.....In a ham shack in someones house though often the amp is rather close tot he mic and we hear the sound of a leaf blower going because the amps cooling system in loud and in too close proximity to the mic. Ideally your amp would be in another room or the cooling system would be in another room so no noise on the air. Since most of us can not do that practically and spinning the squirrel cage slower kind of defeats the purpose of a pressurized system maybe we need to rethink the solution based on common sense and the fact that few of us have ham shacks set up like commercial broadcast stations!

So chime in with pro's and con's and past experience etc....

I always had noise problems with cooling fans until I switched to a small squirrel cage unit from a discarded Sharp Microwave. These fans move enough air to cool a 1 kw magnetron, but they're noisy. I slowed mine down by connecting it to a motor speed controller from a burned-out B&D variable speed drill. Just turned it down until the noise went away. Still moves enough air to keep my 5-pill cool. Use a second one on my 12V supply.

When you funnel air flow you will create noise, the amount of noise depends on how fast your restrict it's free flow.

When you funnel air flow you will create noise, the amount of noise depends on how fast your restrict it's free flow.

EXACTLY and a fan can only operate with a certain amount of back pressure. At some point they just stop moving air. Blowers are far more efficient at moving air and some will actually speed up with increasing back pressure to compensate. I don't know how they do it but I have one that surprised the hell out of me when it sped up as I restricted the airflow. Running a 240 volt blower on 120 volts can be a good idea as it will still move a lot of air and do it quietly.

a fan can only operate with a certain amount of back pressure. At some point they just stop moving air.

Correct Blade (axial flow) style fans only work well at low static pressures. Centrifugal fans can develop a great deal of static pressure.
That is why Centrifugal fans are used in applications were there is a need to move are against back pressure.
A large Blade fan is much less effective in a restricted flow/back pressure situation.

Jeff

Most fans don't forcefully move enough air to cool those soviet radar tubes.

You need a pretty beefy squirrel cage blower. When I was testing the blower I took out of my CRX, I ran it off 13.8v...even without the shroud, it blows a lot of air!

Me personally, I prefer liquid over gas. I would LOVE to do a liquid cooled tube amp.

However, my technological experience is somewhat lacking. I need more time behind my Weller WES51. :p

Yes, I am not suggesting we use axial flow fan in a setting with lots of back pressure that would be pointless. I am saying we need to rethink how we cool. Volume over pressure. Black Market Class D sweep tube amps have installed. The only difference being that instead of a small metal blade my Microwave fans have huge plastic blade assembly.

If you guys wanted to cool off you would not use a leaf blower to move air past your face. You would use a fan with a lot less velocity and less pressure but with a high volume of air flow. Not only does it work better for the job at hand but it is makes far less noise.

I like alcohol over water as a coolant for electronics. I also like to keep all connections external so that if a leak happens it happens in the open where I can see it and it does not contaminate the electronics.

I have seen where some guys take standard heat disappointing caps and wrapped a few turns of copper tubing around them.I am sure it helps compared to not having it their but I doubt it is the most effective way to do it. Not enough surface area for the transfer to happen. The hardest part about cooling is getting the heat to transfer from where it is to where you want it to go. This is where surface area, the materials heat transfer and conduction characteristic, the medium ie air,water, alcohol, salt's etc.....come into play. In a perfect world we would just put more metal on top so if you had a 1lbs. heatsink and it was not working well we would just put a 5lbs. heat sink on it and call it a day. I think we all know they have fins and shapes for a reason instead of just a 5lbs. block of aluminum sitting on top of the tube!

Their is a type of motor design that compensates based on RPM or Torque depending on how it is wired. If the load changes it will attempt to maintain either the RPM it is set for or the torque output it is set for. My x-brother in law had a book on it from Lindsay and he rewired an ac motor to behave this way. I would suspect this is how the centrifugal fans are adapting to load change based on static pressure as the load. The other way would cost a lot more and that would be to have variable impeller section or variable size on the outlet port like a variable nozel since those are both costly and require sensors and some means of control I doubt that these latter solutions would be used.

I think it is almost comical the take on high pressure air cooling for tubes. Why? Well in every single other appliance that people use daily they all use low pressure high volume air. Your refrigerator, laptop, pc, furnace, all of them when cooling their own parts to stay with in operating norms use low pressure air. Most microwaves use simple axial flow fans the ones that use a squirrel cage are normally the above stove space saving units. Being directly above an oven and range top kind of poisons the air they have to work with and limits the amount of space they have to work with in. I have yet to sit in a car had a leaf blower for it's interior fan......most heat and ac systems in home again have very little pressure. So why on earth would anyone think that is the best way to cool their amplifier? Why did so many companies in the 50-70's use axial flow fan like Heathkit did on their Amps?

I do not think it takes a rocket scientist to look at tube specifications and the articles section at Eimac and figure out they are talking to commercial applications for the most part. In fact Eimac and Svetlana and the other's have clearly made it obvious that the Ham market is an after thought. That is obvious by what products have been killed off and which products have lived on.

One problem as well is people building unrealistically small chassis's for the power output envelope they are operating in.The closer you put parts together the more heat soaked all the parts become and the harder it is to cool them. On top of that pressurized air only works if you tightly control it's flow.....If your section in your chassis are not water tight then they sure are not air tight either and any pressurized scheme you might have is not much use if the air is free to seek it's own path through the chassis.

Oh and for the record round holes are terrible for passing air.....Round holes create all kinds of turbulence fine for the discharge or exhaust but not so hot to move pressurized air from the bottom of the socket area up to the heat sink on top of the tube.I understand why we do it! Drill bits are round and make nice round holes so speed and lack of a fast,cheap, clean means to produce other shapes mean round holes abound.

Has anyone on this site tried replicating Heath Kit's Cooling set up on their project? I have yet to see any home brew amp use axial flow fan set up like Heathkit did! All I see is Muffin Fans which I already know are not up to the job or monster sized centrifugal blower's.

If you guys wanted to cool off you would not use a leaf blower to move air past your face. You would use a fan with a lot less velocity and less pressure but with a high volume of air flow.

Cooling your face and cooling a tube are two totally different things. First of all, your face
isn’t nearly as hot as a tube. For tube cooling you need a high volume of air directed over a
specific area. An axial fan won’t do this because it is designed to deliver high volume over a
large area. A squirrel cage blower (or even a pair of muffin fans) is the best choice because
they deliver high volume and are shrouded, which allows the air to be pressurized and
directed to a specific place. Your statement that if a unit isn’t water tight there will be a
cooling failure is wrong. The cooling air will follow the path of least resistance regardless of
whether the holes are round, square, triangular, or whatever. If the path of least resistance
goes in a certain direction, that is where the air will go. A small leak here or there won’t
make a bit of difference unless the fan you’re using is marginal. Sweep tubes weren’t
designed to be used as RF amplifiers, and there are no special sockets, chimneys, etc., for
them. If you want to keep them cool, then you need to design a special cooling system.
RF power tubes, on the other hand, have the special sockets and chimneys available
to provide the necessary cooling to give max reliability. Fan noise isn’t an easy thing to
overcome but it can be done without sacrificing reliability. Mounting the fans in a remote
location is one solution. Using two fans and running them at 1/2 speed is another.
However,I don’t think axial fans are the answer.

So, you think volume over pressure is the answer? How do you move large volumes of air through a small opening (like the external anode fins of a ceramic tube) without creating high pressure? :whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.