• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TX800 dilemma....

Table_Scraps

Aug 29, 2021
Ok, I've got a totally factory TX800, original owner, box has never been opened. I am upgrading from my cobra 29 to a Striker 955. Should I have the TX800 converted to a straight 4 pill? Maybe be converted to a straight 6 pill rather than the 1x4? I'm looking for a good option...or maybe just get a new amp?

Reactions: Slowmover

That's such a great old school amp I would hate to see it messed with. The most I would do is have the driver pill bypassed but left in so it could be put back to stock later.

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
That's such a great old school amp I would hate to see is messed with. The most I would do is have the driver pill bypassed but left in so it could be put back to stock later.

I agree 100%! Nobody close to me that I would trust to do it though.

This is the wrong approach. When you have too much drive, you want to remove the stage that is the least reliable. In this case it will always be the amplifier on the back of the export radio. Bypass the junk on the radio and use the real RF driver transistor in the external amplifier.
The more I'm reading about this stuff, the less I want to mod this little classic amp. I'm obviiusly new to this game...ive used cb's in my trucks for over 30 years. Lots to learn about this but I think it'd be a great hobby.

I set out to do just this to a TX800 a few years ago. Then I discovered that the double-sided circuit board would require taking it completely apart to accomplish this.

With no schematic available, the project went onto a back burner. Before long it got pushed off the back of the stove and remains stuck against the wall, so to speak.

I'm sure it can be done, but it won't just be "move a few wires" like a Texas Star 667.

Reactions: NZ8N and Slowmover
I set out to do just this to a TX800 a few years ago. Then I discovered that the double-sided circuit board would require taking it completely apart to accomplish this.

With no schematic available, the project went onto a back burner. Before long it got pushed off the back of the stove and remains stuck against the wall, so to speak.

I'm sure it can be done, but it won't just be "move a few wires" like a Texas Star 667.

Ya...I'm just going to put a completely new package together. New radio, antenna, coax cable & amp in the f250....may update the setup in the big truck as well...we'll see.

Thought I could wade across that same pond (pickup & big truck), but WWDX has a way of pulling one into the deeper water.

Welcome!!

Yup! D-Rail got the job to build me a Stryker 955 & I just ordered a new straight 8 pill. Now I'll spend a little time gathering a new antenna, upgrade to some better coaxial cable & find some good meters. I can see how this shit can be addicting LOL

I'd be happy to come over and clean behind your stove, I bet there is a lot of good stuff back there.

I would leave it stock, if you want more power then buy bigger. I built many of those amps back in the day and they've become rare to find in good condition. Not only that but they are built tight, there's simply not much room to make changes. I've seen some really messed up attempts to 'improve' them that are complete fails.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated