• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Understanding the Solarcon MAX2000

No doubt about the extra work not being worth the time and effort and hassle especially when it's cold!!! Keep setup times to a min. Is a great idea. I've just never used static mobile like you are. I've talked to quite a few gents across the pond and also here stateside that are static mobile setups. I've a good friend here on the forum from VT. that uses a moxon and static setup during the winter months and he has it down pat. You have to with the cold or it's not much fun I'd venture to say. At any rate, have fun and the posts are very informative, keep up the good work. Hope to talk on air soon. 73.

Reactions: RadioDaze
When I came on again in March this year with a magmount I had no idea how my interest would grow. It has a very welcome place in my life right now when I have some free time again to get outside and enjoy the hobby.

What I knew when I was on 20+ years ago was basically nothing and yet I still managed some DX somehow. Now with the internet if you are willing you can really start understanding why thing do and don't work well. It helps you get even more out of the hobby/lifestyle. I mean it is a lifestyle for many. And why not, if you love radio and are passionate for it that is a great thing.

It is deep enough for a lifetime of interest.

You should hear me if I am out as I was cutting through pretty well to 2 div last year even with an omni. Especially so to the Eastern states it seemed. I cannot wait to chat to you guys again, roll on that transatlantic skip again ! Seems like a long while coming.

And when I say internet I actually mean real people who are willing to help someone learn. Same with people who chat to on air.

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
Talk about memories, you're reminding me of what I was doing about 12 years ago. I ended up drilling & tapping the top edge of the Imax mounting 'flag' for 3 108" whips made from stripped 4' Wilson Silver Load mobile antennas each with a Wilson 1000 whip sticking out the top. I mounted the Imax atop a 4' long, 1.375" dia oak dowel and wrapped a 5.5 turns on a 4" former CMC 3" below the Imax base, around the dowel. I saw what seemed like an s unit improvement compared to no radials and could run a Texas Star 667 without having any RFI isues. I was using 24' of RG213 from the amp to antenna and a 12' length between the radio and amp. Best mobile Base station I ever enjoyed. antenna was mounted atop a 4-section 16' telescoping mobile mast with the dowel at the top painted with plastidip for waterproofing. it finally broke the dowel in quite a strong wind so next time I'll use solid fiberglass rod. I still think you should try a Proton99.
(y)

Oh sure no inventing any wheels here it's all been done before I am sure. But it is a lot of fun doing it for me. long may that continue.

Well you never know I may well try a Proton99. Nice thing about mobile (along with many potential annoyances, losing things, forgetting things, mud on just about everything you have with you, one thing we have in England is mud and plenty of it !) is you can experiment if you are up for some thinking about how to proceed and what you want to do. Up and downing antennas, fiddling about with them.

Also it is quite handy in that it is potentially possible to shoot out antennas on an identical pole, coax and QTH with no other interactions from other antennas.

I will get some photos up of my various set up's in due course.

Oh sure no inventing any wheels here it's all been done before I am sure. But it is a lot of fun doing it for me. long may that continue.

That's the thing. Just because someone else has done it before doesn't mean you can't. Its one thing to read how something works when someone does it and a whole different thing entirely to build it yourself and see how it works for yourself.

I love messing with antennas. I've gone through thousands of feet of wire, all of which has been re-used and re-used until the bits got too short to be of use to build anything. :D

Nothing like building an antenna and talking half way across the world with it!! Gotta love it. A simple 1/2 wave dipole works wonders and are so easy to build. I've 2 up now covering N/S/E/W. Both are at about 35-40ft at feedpoint. I do miss my vertical but it's sure nice to have no noise vs the hiss on the vertical. And miss talking to my locals. Hopefully dx will pick up soon or I will be venturing into building my own vertical antenna.

Hopefully dx will pick up soon or I will be venturing into building my own vertical antenna.

K index is back down to 1, SFI is on the rise and on 20m I managed two new all time ones, the furthest being 6000 miles and Sri Lanka which was in the middle of the night there at the time so compared to earlier this week where 1000 miles was about it, things are definitely on the up.

I have been reading my new book 22nd edition :) and it suggests that ground plane radials seem as fussy as the 5/8 waves they are sometimes found on.

If they are not made with exact lengths and symmetrical you can actually reduce antenna performance ! that makes my plan of wire ground planes less inviting right now. Seems it can mess current phases up and reduce gain by up to 1.2dB all round.

I can get the length fairly accurate but question is how symmetrical is symmetrical (tolerance) when it comes to ground planes. Are 4 radials at roughly 90 degrees dangling about good enough?.. To keep them in that position even in a light breeze (given mine are just solid core 14 gauge wires) is impossible.

I still may have to go for the Solarcon GPK yet. That somewhat defeats the object of the MAX2000 being easy to set up as it is fiddly with the nuts and bolts. I can really see why no radial antennas (especially for mobile static) are convenient.

Maybe I am obsessing over the ground plane kit for no real valuable reason ?

If it is more stuff to place together in the field, and more stuff to lose. It may be worth trying. Wil never know until you give it a whirl. I know it's more work but is the payoff worth the effort?? That is what you have to ask yourself and if you want to find out I would be trying to do that now before it gets too cold. JMHO on that. And with that said, it's about having a good time and enjoying yourself so don't make it too complicated as it may make the experience as a whole not be as pleasurable as could be. Maybe get the radials now and try them out, see what you get. Like I said, you'll never know til you yourself try it. Not knocking the modeling and talk but every install is different and what might not work for Jim will wilt for Bob! Again I do stress not too make it too complicated as to not enjoy yourself. Just my take on things like that. Have fun man, and keep up the good work. 73 and God Bless, 2OR222, Sean,
Daytona Bch., FL.

Reactions: RadioDaze
Well current state is I now have slightly more manageable home made 6ft radials bolted on the bottom (same length as the Solarcon GPK ones). I am going to give it another go.

I will never be able to keep them perfectly straight, solid core copper wire just does not allow for that.
The original GPK will not work for me, there are too many nuts and bolts to mess with. (and they will not longer even fit my U Bolt as I put Euro metric sizes as I drilled the plate out out last night)

Should have something to isolate the pole with soon.

As you say it might be a step too far on the practical side, I will see what I can rustle up.

I have ditched the radials. I popped out for a bit to check them and they looked ridiculous. Symmetrical.. pffft that's a joke, my home made ones are a monstrosity.

The Solarcon ones are not going to work for me either. They would suit home base no problems and maybe the occasional activation user but putting them on once or twice a week is not practical for me so the IMAX will have to work without in my situation.

I need a new leisure battery so the money saved can be put towards that. I tried my bets with them but for now not working out. At least I found out early in the long DX season.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.