• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 505XL

On many of those smaller radio's the most you can do is bump the modulation pot a tad. Beyond that you slap a KL-60 or Kl-203 behind one. That's bang for the buck.

I found a clue: I would probably not do the power mod, but the limiter defeat might work well. I clipped the diode in my 510 and the modulation came right up and did not over modulate without it. The 505 might be different in that regard. Only one way to find out.

Last edited:
Reactions: KK4JW
As a general thing, first find the spike diode. Should be easy to spot, just follow traces from the audio tranformer pins until one of them leads to the anode of a black epoxy 1-Amp rectifier diode. On the diode's other end is the cathode, the end with the band on it. The trace it feeds into is our modulated B+ that will power and modulate the driver and final transistors. Downstream from the diode you'll find a small-value electrolytic capacitor, almost always under 10uf with the positive end connected to the modulated B+ line, and the negative side connected to a diode. Remove the solder from one side of this capacitor to break the circuit and see if it affects the modulation limit. Good chance it will.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.