• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN 858 Chassis - COST of RECAPPING - TRC-457 & TRC-449

Ez2cDave

Nov 22, 2012
I have been searching all over the internet to no avail for information on getting two of my radios re-capped.

They are both UNIDEN 858 PLL chassis radios . . . TRC-457 & TRC-449.

There is a lot of conflicting information out there . . .

QUESTIONS :

( 1 ) Is there a list available of all of the electrolytic and tantalum capacitors used in these radios ?

( 2 ) What is the approximate cost of having the caps replaced, since I don't trust my soldering skills ? ( I have heard "job times", ranging from 1 to 5 hours, on forums and need some "real facts" )

( 3 ) Is the installation of Schottky diodes worthwhile ?

( 4 ) Since the radios are 40 years old, what other components should I consider replacing or upgrading ?

( 5 ) Who can I trust to do the job right ?

ALSO, does anyone have a scan of Sams Photofact CB-200 and CB-207 ?

Thanks, in advance, for your help !

1) A member here, "Klondike Mike" sells re-cap kits. I'll be surprised if he doesn't have those radios on his list. Here's a link to his member page

https://www.worldwidedx.com/members/klondike-mike.13532/

2) No idea the going rate.

3) No

4) The aluminum electrolytics and the tiny tantalum caps are the only real "age" components to worry about. Moving parts will get old and noisy. Cleaning controls and switches is nearly always an improvement. The relay is no longer made. It had been available on Ebay, type MX3P made by Omron. Having a spare tends to prevent trouble from the factory part, for some reason. A check on Ebay just now did not turn up a hit. A guy who bought a quantity of them a year or more ago has had them listed for 18 months or more. But he's not there today.

Here's a link to original factory service data for the TRC-449.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/realistic/trc_449/index.htm

The main circuit board is the same as the TRC457, pretty much. But the front-panel controls and wiring naturally are not the same.

Here is a link to the PDF Cobra prints out and sends if you order it from them.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/realistic-trc457-service-info.231193/

Have fun and 73

I recently had my Uniden Madison recapped and I bought one of Mike's kits off e-bay. As stated above Mike is a forum member and his kits are complete with quality parts.

As far as who does the work, I guess I lucked out. I had a local guy do it, took him 3 hours and he charged me 40 bucks. He has this cool piece of equipment that can test any electronic component. It's connected to his computer and when you enter the part number it will test the part and see if it falls in line with the factory spec for that part. It turns out only 3 of the 27 caps he replaced passed.

Anyway good luck.

Reactions: Klondike Mike
I bought a cap kit off ebay from someone who is not Mike. I won't make that mistake again.

Low quality caps, and I don't think the guy selling the kits had ever cracked open the model he was selling the kits for. When you have leftover caps because that value isn't actually used anywhere in the radio, not a good sign.

So if you want the good stuff, go to Mike.

I recently had my Uniden Madison recapped and I bought one of Mike's kits off e-bay. As stated above Mike is a forum member and his kits are complete with quality parts.

As far as who does the work, I guess I lucked out. I had a local guy do it, took him 3 hours and he charged me 40 bucks. He has this cool piece of equipment that can test any electronic component. It's connected to his computer and when you enter the part number it will test the part and see if it falls in line with the factory spec for that part. It turns out only 3 of the 27 caps he replaced passed.

Anyway good luck.

That is exactly why I want to replace ALL of the caps. These radios are 40 years old, back when I was a Senior in high school.

Did the guy who worked on your radio have a shop ?

Thanks.

I bought a cap kit off ebay from someone who is not Mike. I won't make that mistake again.

Low quality caps, and I don't think the guy selling the kits had ever cracked open the model he was selling the kits for. When you have leftover caps because that value isn't actually used anywhere in the radio, not a good sign.

So if you want the good stuff, go to Mike.

Yeah, I had heard about "Crappy Caps" being sold on eBay. That's also why I'm doing a lot of research before "pulling the trigger" on getting my radios done.

Thanks.

I recommended Mike because he knows the difference between a quality electrolytic cap and the "OneHungLow" chinesium stuff.

And that's really his claim to fame, selling the right parts, NOT low-bidder no-name junk.

I am extremely happy to hear that. I want quality parts and to get it done right !

Thanks !

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.