• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 Beep Mod.

Watergate

Apr 11, 2011
First off, I don't own this radio, and haven't tried this mod, so I take no responsibility for this. This is just info that I have gathered from around the internet. A few members here have stated that they tried this with success. I post this here just to get some info out there. The various videos and links already posted on WWDX are in multiple threads so I am just combining them.

This mod is supposed to remove the beep associated with every button push and knob turn on this radio.

The mod is simple. Removal of an SMT resistor. Here is the location on the board.
uma5ebez.jpg

The resistor is circled with an arrow pointing to it.

Here is a video of the mod.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o23Pkm00pa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Good luck, and post your results if you try this. More info is needed on this radio. I've got my mind made up to get one now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and Mudfoot

STM,
Simon The Wizard has the info. Read it last week but can't remember exactly what it was. On the newer version, I am thinking it was the long press of the NB button..........??

David

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
STM,
Below copied and pasted from Simon The Wizard page but not tested by me.

My 980 does not beep. It is the later version and the beep was turned off by the guy that sold it to me (for $40.00!!)-had to have it at that price!

"Uniden 980 SSB:
To stop key beep press and hold ANL, Bep On & Bep Of (2016 models only)"

David

STM,
Below copied and pasted from Simon The Wizard page but not tested by me.

My 980 does not beep. It is the later version and the beep was turned off by the guy that sold it to me (for $40.00!!)-had to have it at that price!

"Uniden 980 SSB:
To stop key beep press and hold ANL, Bep On & Bep Of (2016 models only)"

David
Yes that does the trick. The beep is probably good for the drivers that stay awake by playing with the radio. Haha

Reactions: Woody-202

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.