• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 Talkback Problem

ƒ Riverman,
I wasn't aware that the 980 had a talkback function (and I own one (n)).
Below is copied from the owners manual. Have you tried turning the "Level" to "00" and then pressing the "Talkback" button again to toggle it off when not wanted?

Talkback: Talkback lets you monitor yourself when transmitting. Press Talkback to activate the function (LED = on). With Talkback active, press and hold the PTT button and adjust the talkback volume with the Channel Selector knob. (Levels 00 - 15). The LED will stay on for 5 seconds after you release the PTT button.

I am not a talkback fan at all and have never activated that function on mine,but I may be now forced to experiment with it????????????????

David

ƒ Riverman,
I wasn't aware that the 980 had a talkback function (and I own one (n)).
Below is copied from the owners manual. Have you tried turning the "Level" to "00" and then pressing the "Talkback" button again to toggle it off when not wanted?

Talkback: Talkback lets you monitor yourself when transmitting. Press Talkback to activate the function (LED = on). With Talkback active, press and hold the PTT button and adjust the talkback volume with the Channel Selector knob. (Levels 00 - 15). The LED will stay on for 5 seconds after you release the PTT button.

I am not a talkback fan at all and have never activated that function on mine,but I may be now forced to experiment with it????????????????

David

Yes. Have tried both.
I’ve never used it. Just happened to notice my voice coming through the speaker and figured the talkback was on. Might be an unrelated problem.

There is a thread here addressing 980 unwanted talkback. Something to that nature. Mine had slight talkback even turned off. Others have experienced the same. Been running the McKinley mostly as base lately.

Reactions: 2NC995
Maybe a little RFI in your shack? Maybe a slightly less than "ideal" SWR?
Are you using an external speaker? If so, does it "talkback" through the built in speaker?

David
Good point. Using external I got the talkback, still get some with McKinley from time to time. Using amplified speaker sys for computer. Definitely a RF issue, but tolerated.

Reactions: ENC Pirate
Does it with radio’s speaker and external speaker.

Any other 980 users having this problem other than Dan and me?

Reactions: 2NC995
Guess I don't count since I'm not "currently " using the 980, but McKinley. I get better reports on the latter, and seems little better recieve.

Reactions: Riverman
Riverman,
Maybe turning the gain down on the Road Devil (if it has one?-not a power mike fan either) will solve the issue?? Or reducing the radio's own mike gain setting? I use a snap on ferrite bead on all of my radios mike cords right at the plug to the transceiver to stop such annoyances.
Seems to me going from a "4" level to "3" on the 980 kills the audio completely. Haven't had it inline in a while. I will have to check that out further.

David

Reactions: Slowmover
Riverman,
Maybe turning the gain down on the Road Devil (if it has one?-not a power mike fan either) will solve the issue?? Or reducing the radio's own mike gain setting? I use a snap on ferrite bead on all of my radios mike cords right at the plug to the transceiver to stop such annoyances.
Seems to me going from a "4" level to "3" on the 980 kills the audio completely. Haven't had it inline in a while. I will have to check that out further.

David

I turned down the setting on the mic. That worked. (y)

Reactions: Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated