• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN BEARCAT 980 SSB TUNE SPOTS

Hi Bandit327, where did you find the info about the uniden 980SSB service manual. I went to Unidens web site and did not find any info on it. would like to order one when it comes out.
thank you
Johnie

I don't want to sound greedy, but...
Gimmie! Gimmie! Gimmie!
have a few things to finish , mainly diagrams . will post when its ready for the public.
how many years has this radio been out? was surprised to find zilch. now i know the boards have gone through revisions , this manual will be pertaining to the earlier versions pre 2017.

Not to be a pessimist but the cover page looks "home made"?!
I am interested in the "un-obtainium" manual though.
Have you obtained it yet? ever heard of sams photo fact> you get what you get. its not that difficuilt well thats if you understand theroy to put together alignment/service procedure , the specs are there, its not vodo. the game has changed but the theory remains the same. Bandit

Hi Bandit327, where did you find the info about the uniden 980SSB service manual. I went to Unidens web site and did not find any info on it. would like to order one when it comes out.
thank you
Johnie
hello Sonoma , information pertaining to the Uniden Bearcat 980ssb Service/Alignment manual has been put together by supplied information through means which i will not discus as well as applying theory and direct measurement from supplied radio . i work in the RF engineering field and ever so often i preform service on customers equipment on my free time in my lab. as i seen a need for this procedure to be produced i also found a want for it from the public. the effort and time that has been put into providing a correct servicing procedure in which is not available is always a task , but i enjoy doing it . critics aside , please refer to oem service manual. oh yea it doesn't exist. the real question is why has no one released there own servicing procedure....... either they are golden screwdriver techs just guessing or their just plain selfish. im finishing up some diagrams , and this will be done on my free time. i threw a post out there to see if there's an interest ....yes there is. no schematic is ready, nor do i see me really finishing it. so don't expect it. 73,s BANDIT

Have you obtained it yet? ever heard of sams photo fact> you get what you get. its not that difficuilt well thats if you understand theroy to put together alignment/service procedure , the specs are there, its not vodo. the game has changed but the theory remains the same. Bandit
"You get what you get", yes easy when they publish a manual for the radio in question.. Have you got the Sam's Photofact number for the 980 SSB, hahaha.

The theory doesn't change, agreed.
What specs, are where? Yes one could piece together a manual, a noble effort indeed.
With the new multi-layer SMT boards, reverse engineering almost requires x-ray photography, lol!

I don't believe anyone has the factory service manual directly from Uniden.
A home-brew manual sounds cool, tip of the ol' fedora your way... Or, "my hat is off to you".

Attachments

• rickroll.png
    rickroll.png
    85.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
"You get what you get", yes easy when they publish a manual for the radio in question..

The theory doesn't change, agreed.
What specs, are where? Yes one could piece together a manual, a noble effort.
I don't believe anyone has the factory service manual directly from Uniden.
A home-brew manual sounds cool, tip of the 'ole fedora your way...

Hi Leapfrog ,
I could go on and on , but wont. i will sum it up like this, ALL radios work the same way, oscillators , deciders , I.F. frequency , none are any different . the way they combine or convert that frequency may be different but that's IT. part numbers are all over this model , frequencies are stamped on the crystals. the next step is theory of operation. once you understand the way a certain product works anyone can publish information pertaining to that: including servicing data. like wise also keeping it for them self.
which i have , for now.........BANDIT

Hi Leapfrog ,
I could go on and on , but wont. i will sum it up like this, ALL radios work the same way, oscillators , deciders , I.F. frequency , none are any different . the way they combine or convert that frequency may be different but that's IT. part numbers are all over this model , frequencies are stamped on the crystals. the next step is theory of operation. once you understand the way a certain product works anyone can publish information pertaining to that: including servicing data. like wise also keeping it for them self.
which i have , for now.........BANDIT
Bandit, waving your way!
We could needlessly go back and forth, but, I know it is possible with enough understanding. Specifically because of the reasons you've mentioned (part numbers not being scrubbed off).

I would agree, people who have serviced this model may very well have their own notations for an alignment procedure; not very many people openly share their notes, especially if they feel like they have uncovered some "secret". (This would be someone less capable IMHO, as a proper technician realizes there are no secrets to uncover, just circuits to understand.) For all my "trash talking" in this thread, I want people to know I've never even laid my hands on a 980 SSB.

But I love collecting factory service manuals, I have almost one hundred manuals for radios that I do not own.

I am dismayed at the new "industry norm", a throw-it-away & buy-another mentality, or "ask us to service it and we will try to sell you the newest model instead".. This crap fills up landfills and keeps people in the dark... I would love to see modern (electronics) manufacturers include service data for their products, but that is not the most profitable way of running a business; got to keep share-holders happy now!

Some companies will tell you a product has become "legacy" and that they no longer offer support anymore, that sounds like planned obsolescence to me.. What is worse, they could release technical data, but they know that they will get less service orders or make less in new sales.. So they don't..

Anyway, I am excited about the idea of 980 SSB service data. Kudos to you for being the bigger man (shame on Uniden)!
Best Regards
-LeapFrog 30 miles north of Tampa Bay

Last edited:
hello Sonoma , information pertaining to the Uniden Bearcat 980ssb Service/Alignment manual has been put together by supplied information through means which i will not discus as well as applying theory and direct measurement from supplied radio . i work in the RF engineering field and ever so often i preform service on customers equipment on my free time in my lab. as i seen a need for this procedure to be produced i also found a want for it from the public. the effort and time that has been put into providing a correct servicing procedure in which is not available is always a task , but i enjoy doing it . critics aside , please refer to oem service manual. oh yea it doesn't exist. the real question is why has no one released there own servicing procedure....... either they are golden screwdriver techs just guessing or their just plain selfish. im finishing up some diagrams , and this will be done on my free time. i threw a post out there to see if there's an interest ....yes there is. no schematic is ready, nor do i see me really finishing it. so don't expect it. 73,s BANDIT

I am looking for an alignment Procedure for the Uniden 980 SSB radio. Someone has played with the alignment and missed the radio up. I have the equipment to do the job and only need the layout and labels defined. There are mostly not defined labels. Some are understandable. Any one have alignment with definitions of labels?

Uniden is not going to release a service manual for this radio.
This has now become the norm in today's world.
They did not even file a Schematic with the FCC when submitting the radio for approval.
Have to hope that Lou is going to pick this up like he did all the old Uniden clones.
Or some one else writes one up and releases it to the public.

Jeff

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.