• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UNIDEN BEARCAT 980 SSB TUNE SPOTS

They reserve the right to maintain the secrecy of proprietary information. Some of the potted blocks in military hardware are used to hide NASPARS devices.
NASPARS is non-military grade electronic components. Potting them gives them an improved status and acceptance by the military DoD standards. We had transformers that were hand wound with flat copper wire and those had to be potted to work and be accepted. That was done for the YUC-7 battle controller..

Maybe, but it also makes them utterly useless in a forward area where the FSR can’t or won’t go. The result is drag the gear back to a big base, more man hours, more down time, etc...all so the FSR can plug in his ruggedized laptop with proprietary software and tell you “it’s broke”.

Proprietary, trade secret components on things like heavy equipment, generators, and air conditioners makes little sense...or at least it never did to me.

A heck lot of man hours has been put into reverse engineering this crap, and making schematics for it.

Last edited:
Just like the cars on the road today. If you pull the codes on a car and change all of the possible bad parts listed your out the money when all you had to do is tighten the gas cap!

I agree 100%.

I worked in a hydraulics shop after retiring, rebuilding and repairing cylinders and what not. All the big equipment companies have proprietary assemblies. Hardly what I would call “trade secrets”...yet even with a $100,000 disassembly bench and God knows how much in tooling, we still needed proprietary tools daily. Finally bought a water-jet and started making our own. When a half a million dollar piece of gear is down, people pay. Getting things back in action within hours is rare these and very valuable.

I have a 6 months old, bought new, only owner, never had a screwdriver on the case much less inside it, and the display led digits fade out...
The local tech I used for my stuff seemed to be able to sort out these radios but, unfortunately, has retired and I have no way of knowing how to fix it. So this one will be taken out of the pickup to the shack and an older Realistic sidebander will go into its place.
Guess it don't do well in a mobile environment . . .
Just isn't going to get fixed and I won't trade it like it is. Couldn't read the display no matter which color I set it except at night anyhow...

I have a 6 months old, bought new, only owner, never had a screwdriver on the case much less inside it, and the display led digits fade out...
The local tech I used for my stuff seemed to be able to sort out these radios but, unfortunately, has retired and I have no way of knowing how to fix it. So this one will be taken out of the pickup to the shack and an older Realistic sidebander will go into its place.
Guess it don't do well in a mobile environment . . .
Just isn't going to get fixed and I won't trade it like it is. Couldn't read the display no matter which color I set it except at night anyhow...
I had that with my last one shortly before it quite working. My new one seems to only be visible straight on.

I wanted to try one for some time before I overspent (any amount over $100 for a CB) for it. Unfortunately, not really impressed.
SSB performance seems good (seems good on a Grant or 148, too).
Too much rotating menu options from the channel selector - not senior eyesight friendly - prefer the much easier analog switches of traditional CB design.

I wanted to try one for some time before I overspent (any amount over $100 for a CB) for it. Unfortunately, not really impressed.
SSB performance seems good (seems good on a Grant or 148, too).
Too much rotating menu options from the channel selector - not senior eyesight friendly - prefer the much easier analog switches of traditional CB design.

I have hit and miss feelings on mine (now under control of a son).

I didn’t like the 4 step incremental mic gain and RF gain, and just couldn’t warm up to it in general. I was, however, very happy with SSB stability and audio quality.

I got 2 980's 1 is newer can kill annoying beep with button push.much better radio than the early 1.i got em both same place same day.wish id checked n demanded both newer version.
My older 980 is off frequincy on ssb too

I love mine. Use it as a base and always get compliments on the audio when shooting skip. Stock mic as well. All the locals love it on AM with a m6b too. I’ve had my son talk to me on it and I’m very impressed.

After testing the 980 and the McKinley I feel like the President is the better of the two radios. Mine has been in my mobile for over 2 years now and is still perfectly on frequency and I've had no issues with the display (which I've run into with the Lincoln II, CRE 8900, and Anytone).

Reactions: Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.