• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden PRO520XL modification?

Sinkhole

Jul 6, 2014
Hello all, I decided to grab my OLD Pro520XL and D104 out of the garage with hopes of throwing it in my truck for an upcoming trip. Well I seem to have forgotten that there is no internal speaker and couldn't for the life of me remember why. So I opened up and this is what i found. a little home made circuit board soldered in and the speaker wires were cut. The broad has 6 100Ω resistors wired in parallel with a 100µF Cap. Can anyone tell me what this does and why.

20140705_184802.jpg

20140705_184944.jpg

20140705_184959.jpg

Just a guess, I don't know the radio, but probably a way to reduce the carrier so that they could run an amp.

I bought in the mid to late 90's and. Kinda remember having it tuned, but it was never set up for an amp.

Look closer. The 2 cut grey wires look like it could have been for an echo board or channel expo kit maybe, I see 2 cut grey wires to the right of the board with the resistors and cap.

Six 100 ohm 1 watt resistors in parallel equals 16.6 ohm dummy load for the speaker if hooked up to the speaker output. Have NO idea why someone would do this. What is it using for a speaker???

If someone was attempting to do the cap/resistor swing mod, they didn't do it right.

Reactions: Doodle bop
The two grey wires are the speaker wires. So it's not a dummy load. The radio works fine when used with an external speaker. Just noticed the D14 Diode has been cut too.

Last edited:
It's setup with an external speaker mounted to the bottom of it.

20140706_155605.jpg

I was planning on just using it for 1 more trip then investing in a whole new setup. I will definitely be keeping the mic though.

I was just kinda curious as to what kind of mod it was . Because I remeber having it tuned but not modded.

the 520 radio is a strong sounding little radio for what it is after a peak and tune. I still have a 510xl that I ran for a few years and it still sounds good. recive is not the best without an external speaker on them. but they sound good on TX with a good mic. the stock mic is very good also but do not like how small they are.

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.