• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Washington restore to factory specs

srievley

Jun 13, 2018
I have recently purchased a Uniden Washington. It had a “Super-Talk” kit installed, along with cut wires covered with electrical tape inside. I removed the kit and soldered the wires back and used heat shrink tubing. There was a diode soldered on the bottom of the board that was obviously not original. I’m looking for someone to get the radio back to stock. Does anyone on this site do this type of work, or can I get a referral to someone that will do it properly?
Thank you

Reactions: eric chilton

srievley,
There are plenty of people on this site that do this kind of work. Eventually one of these experts will respond to your request.

These guys are excellent in helping you fix your own problem as well. Food for thought!

Welcome to the site!

73's
David

srievley,
Check the link below for the Washington schematic.

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/uniden/washington_mb8719/graphics/uniden_washington_mb8719_sch.pdf

There are times that manufacturers add a component to the solder side of a PCB. By studying the attached (if your Washington has an 8719 PLL) you may find that the diode should indeed be in the circuit.

If you have the 858 PLL in your Washington, the schematic can be located by looking at similar radios to your Washington. (i.e. Cobra 138XLR/139XLR, Palomar SSB500, President Adams, Grant, Madison, Realistic TRC449, TRC457, TRC458, Robyn SB510D/520D) Some of these schematics are on this forum. These "similar" radios may not be identical to your Washington, but similar enough to find the diode you see in yours.

Recently Ez2cDave posted some copies of the Master Mods books (and KlondikeMike cleaned them up! Many thanks to both!) In browsing through them, I saw that there are instructions for installing the "Super Talk" modules in some of them. Volume 3 lists the Washington install. Perhaps "reverse engineering" the "Super Talk" install may reveal that the diode was added as part of this "Super Talk Module".

(Search under the topic "CB Manuals or Schematics" for the Master Mods books. I can't remember at the moment where they are parked.)

There is no greater satisfaction than solving your own problem. Maybe the information above will help you do that. If not, post your findings and there are many on this forum willing to help.

73's
David

Reactions: eric chilton
Decades ago, a customer asked me to restore his Tram D201 (23 channel) to factory stock.

I asked him "Are you sure?".

Boy was he annoyed when he found out how much louder his buddies were. As requested, I had set the modulation limiter for 95%.

He did learn to be more careful about what he wished for.

Reactions: Dmans

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.