• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unusual controls 148F

01212_7lbfR5W57Rnz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

At first I thought it might be a variable TalkBalk (sic, from the ad) but the talkback is built into the external speaker, so now I am not so sure.
At a guess, maybe variable power control?
Won't know until or if you buy it, to see what's in it.

The slider might be hooked up to the clarifier as a channel slider.
I thought about that, but the standard conversion is easy enough and less invasive than doing something like this for that purpose.
The other reason I'm leaning towards a variable power is the slider is all the way to the left. If it were a clarifier mod I would expect it to rest closer to the center.

Last edited:
its something to let you say MY RADIO IS BETTER MORE CONTROLS truckstop brag. not a clue about them .
hook up meters n fire er up n adjust n get back n let us know the results

Usually when I see those kinds of knurled knobs, one is echo (volume presence and delay), the slide pot is something unique you don't always see an exposed control - maybe if it was from a home Equalizer control - which this looks to be a slide rheostat from some stereo equipment.

upload_2021-12-30_7-14-7.png

Interestingly they were willing to invest into the effort to have to cut a notch or slot, or even make more holes by drill, meant the control was specific and required for their needs.

It is also "backset" so the control couldn't be mistaken.

The Slider control cannot handle a lot of power they rated for about 1/2-watt composition - so the exposure to the open elements tends to diminish the sliders uniqueness because it can attract dirt and moisture ruining the sliders wiper contacts and their ability to slide effectively without injecting a ton of noise.

They are also not shielded very well.

If you're expecting pristine cover and front panel, they took care of the until - for it does not have much in scratches or wear scuffs.

The radio will need help being brought back to OEM because, like any used car or truck, they operated and added as the previous owners needed to obtain a level of performance

- unless you like to see that is inside the motivated minds of whom messed with this radio and now, they're giving it up
- usually signals either the family member passed on and doesn't need the radio with them to wherever they went
- or the family is looking to make a quick buck off the enterprise situation and take advantage of the demand the market will bear.​

Possibly one of two things - Front Panel Dimmer (like Frequency counter and or entire front panel display) - or using the slider position - some form of sound to carrier level / frequency control - would have to "look inside" to remove all doubt.

IT's an extra set of controls - for something(s) that have been added to the radio - to me, it would not be a substitute for any front panel knobs, just more knobs for the effort to control something inside

I just came across something...

These older Echo mikes that were popular in the 90's the ECB4+ from Diesel/Workman/Superstar

upload_2021-12-30_7-42-40.png

They also had that slider control in them. So, I would think this is just more of the effort to install the Echo mike permanently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rwb and Cabover Bob
From the seller :

Been in storage 20 years.

***With Slider $90.00 USD***
Tune-up and frequency conversion.
(Modified for expanded frequency coverage / more channels) using TONE and PA switch.
Add a "Slider" option to your frequency conversion for +$15 and modify the Clarifier for ability to control TX and RX frequency) $75

Install Talkback
(wired inside the radio so that when you talk you can hear yourself. If you chose an Echo or a Recorder mod, I highly suggest this as well) $10

A 148f for 90 out the door is not too shabby overall. I would only hope that a bull has not been playing around inside of it though!

Tony

A 148f for 90 out the door is not too shabby overall. I would only hope that a bull has not been playing around inside of it though!

Tony

He's asking around $300. That $90 was part of the text I copied from his post showing how much he paid that bull to play......

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?