• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Upgrade or wasting my money

Put the money into the antenna, this is where you will see your biggest gain. As others here have pointed out you really need to 4x your current power to see any difference. The antenna is everything, too many skimp on the antenna and then buy power to compensate.
Well said w9cll. I totally agree! I have seen it many times before (some of my friends as well) where a very good performing radio is kind of "ruined" by having a 4 foot antenna mounted on the edge of the bumper. You must spend the money on the best antenna that you can buy and the longest that you can get away with!

Reactions: secret squirrel
Big truck mo powah is a necessary crutch . . . but not too soon (problem-solve), or to avoid aesthetic hang-ups.

Juice just won’t get the job done till the antenna thing is (what?) 8 or 9/10ths as far as it can go?

AS there is little that is as silly as an operator can’t hear them that hears him. Work what tests can be done.

That is the case when we keep looking for the next 6db to come from the FPA or a doubling in the length of the boom. What happens if we take the two opposing side bands of AM and electronically bring the two into perfect phase alignment?

The results on the spectrum analyzer are quite surprising. The bandwidth has been cut in half and that's a 3db advantage. The best part is the modulation from both side bands now overlap each other in half of the bandwidth, with twice the modulation index. That's another 3db advantage.

If you understand how selective fade degrades the typical AM signal in DX propagation, keep in mind this modulation technique does not produce an opposing side band...
What is this method of modulation called? I want to find more information about it. Thanks.

Reactions: Slowmover
You need to look at HOW the box is built as much as what's in it. A poorly tuned 4X2879 will not compare to a well tuned 4X1446, much less 4X2290. Some amps with less watts will smoke a bigger box. I've personally seen a 1X2 (1X2290 driving 2X2879) outright beat down a 4X2879 driven with a hot radio. The 1X2 was doing 3/4 the watts of the 4 pill and shut him down....the difference? Antenna was a better setup, the amp was tuned for his system and the radio was tuned for that amp. So, simply jacking up the watts doesn't mean much when everyone else is spending time and money on improving the transmission side.

You need to look at HOW the box is built as much as what's in it. A poorly tuned 4X2879 will not compare to a well tuned 4X1446, much less 4X2290. Some amps with less watts will smoke a bigger box. I've personally seen a 1X2 (1X2290 driving 2X2879) outright beat down a 4X2879 driven with a hot radio. The 1X2 was doing 3/4 the watts of the 4 pill and shut him down....the difference? Antenna was a better setup, the amp was tuned for his system and the radio was tuned for that amp. So, simply jacking up the watts doesn't mean much when everyone else is spending time and money on improving the transmission side.
Yes correct thank you

What is this method of modulation called? I want to find more information about it. Thanks.
The exciter I built for this uses a modified application of Independent Side Band (ISB), AM stereo. It's modified for mono only, with a balance control that allows all of the modulation energy contained in both opposing side bands, to be combined and phased back into the bandwidth of a single sideband.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated