• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

upgrading regulators

1012's are barely up to the job in single final radios, a full reg stage swap to what you find in a dual final radio makes them much less likely to fail.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
It's not really fair to compare the 2sa1012 to the other two transistors previously mentioned in this thread.
The 2sa1012 is in a smaller package and only has 25 watts contiuous dissapation where's the other two have as much as 60 watts continuous dissaption. (provided there is adequate heatsinking)

More than which one is better has to be thought about. The ease of getting the transistor for the swap. I've used the 754's before and will again in the future.

My thought was that the Galaxy tech told me that my 959 was using the 827 which is a 70 watt device after I inquired of him about me using the 1012 a while back. I was questioning Robb's choice for the 754. A few months ago when I bought my 959 I had started research about the 959 and stumbled upon the 959 modification page for said radio. I found out that some of those mods where for the non MOSFET version(mine's mosfet).Since then I had DTB align and tune my radio in which he ran an extra power wire from the power entry point on the main pcb to the on/off switch. That helped a whole lot in stabilizing the power fluctuations plus mine changing out the wimpy power cord for a heavy duty one. So again,I'm questioning Robb's preference for the 754.

Last edited:
IIRC, the 827 is a 100w device. I'm agreeing with bob85 here; he has far more experience with radio repair that I do - by a far cry. I am just a hobbyist having fun and nothing more.

Think that bob85's experience speaks loud and clear here. I'll bet he replaced many 1012's when he tended a bench. But I do know that the 754 and even the 827 have much higher ratings than the 1012. But also beware of dealers in the US selling the 827; some them are not the real McCoy. That goes for TIP42C's as well, which are an upgrade for the 2SA473.

If it ain't broke; then don't try to fix it.
But if you are going to add a second final - or even use dual MOSFETs; then that is a horse of another color . . .

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.