• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

USDX+ HF TRANSCEIVER

nfsus

Yeah its turned off, touch it
May 9, 2011
Arkansas
Well I bought one for $125.00 and it sucks. Not for the reasons you think maybe-------maybe so.....

1. The receiver is about 1.5 to 2 s units below the Yaesu radios I use, both on the meter and the perceived sound. It isn't all that bad for the cost.
2. The transmit power is goofy. On some bands the power peaks in the middle of the band while others are bottom or top heavy. The balancing act of trying to keep the carrier off sideband is a fine adjustment in the menu. Can be done just takes a min. It isn't all that bad for the cost.
3. Menu isn't terrible. It isn't all that bad for the cost.
4. Had to change reference frequency a little to get transmit on center. change this with a menu function. It isn't all that bad for the cost.
5. Solder joints dont seem bad on a once over. Coils seem a little sloppy. It isn't all that bad for the cost.
6. Tx audio is low. Drive it harder and a carrier might come in depending on what setting youve changed. It isn't all that bad for the cost.
7. Filters work. Sorta. Well enough sorta. It isn't all that bad for the cost.
8. If you pay attention to the menu settings you can get pretty decent rx audio out of it.

It isn't all that bad for the cost. Thats the excuse anyway. Ive enjoyed playing with it, but Im not sure its a winner.
usdx.jpg
usdx board pic.jpg

The fact that I cant get the power to center up on the band is a real turn off. You dont need 7 watts on 3.5mhz and 2 watts on 3.9. And other bands are bottom heavy and some are top heavy. a couple are just fine. I'm going to check and see if thats something that can be handled in the firmware or if I can update it, but I dont think it will.

I cant speak to any AM or FM function because this version is ssb\cw only. supposedly that can be changed in a firmware update. The "filters" do seems to chop it down qrm pretty well and the rx audio is plenty loud. If you pay attention to the menu settings you can get pretty decent rx audio out of it. I hooked up an external speaker and it was very loud. The internal speaker sounded way better with the lid off. I made a couple of contacts and they said it didnt sound too bad. It wasnt a powerhouse audio blaster.

CQ Sounded good to me. translator worked great. Separated a few stations out but a pile up aint gonna work.

Mine did not come with a battery pack. I knew that goin in.

Id hoped for a little rig that I could just toss in the camper when I take off somewhere. Maybe I need to just stick with my ft-77! HAHAHA! But, like I said....................It isn't all that bad for the cost.

****update, on a lark i decided to put the radio in line with the antenna tuner. big difference. 1.5 to 2 watts difference. thats big for this little pos. Might have to play with it some more. I dont know if it has fold back or if it just suffers from an anemic final. It could have a fold back since some versions have a swr meter in the firmware even though this one does not.****

Last edited:

Update update

Sent it back. 80 meters wouldnt hold tx steady frequency. Just jumped around. Then if you lined up the tx freq and changed bands it was off again. Theres no band adjustment, it's all just in a xtal offset that covers all bands like the sdr sticks. Upper and lower were not the right offset either. Might be normal issues with these lo little rigs I dont know. So I've ordered another one. I'm really wanting one to work. If not well crap.

Life is too short for cheap QRP
If you buy a Quality QRP it's a Big difference.My ICOM 703 PLUS does an Amazing job & I am Very Pleased with it's performance & I'm surprised at how well it works.It's of course Not my ICOM 7000 & I never expected that it would be but the receiver is Very Hot & it has the optional aftermarket filter for CW which works very well though I am Not a CW Operator I listened to the difference & it's very good.

SIX-SHOOTER
W4KVW

I have an old ft 77 that's a great simple portable rig. Portable.....ha. I wanted a very small, light weight, cheap setup tho. I'll keep on looking.

I've made numerous QRP (<5W) with the uBitx. I prefer my v5 to my v6.2 as it has gained more contacts. The v6 is easier for band changes. The v5 has a cleaner sounding recieve, or mine does.

Reactions: NZ8N
I've made numerous QRP (<5W) with the uBitx. I prefer my v5 to my v6.2 as it has gained more contacts. The v6 is easier for band changes. The v5 has a cleaner sounding recieve, or mine does.
Got one on it's way as we speak. This week maybe. Ordered the kit. Going to gut an old cobra 23 channel am cb base station for it. Install a battery. Have a base or portable.

Reactions: NZ8N and HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated