• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UTC Time

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
Whats the simplest way to tell UTC time?

I live in Alabama so do I just subtract six hours from the UTC time? I'm confused...

I know how to do it and it is displayed on my ham radio deluxe software but my problem is keeping up with nets.

Sometimes if I go to a website stating start times in UTC, I have trouble figuring out what time it is in my time zone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the problem is that it is a moving target (caused by daylight savings time).

If you are in the Eastern Time Zone (I believe Alabama is), During the summer you would subtract 4 hours from GMT/UTC to get YOUR local time. When Daylight Savings ends (First Sunday in November at 2AM), you need to subtract 5 hours from GMT/UTC to get YOUR local time.

Les, W9LRT

Like most say: Get a second clock and set it up for UTC. Some transceivers have a clock display - set that up for UTC. Problem with translating is the time change from standard time and daylight saving time. Easiest thing to do is to get a second clock that displays 24 hour format.

I agree with the second clock idea. I have a clock widget on my laptop that is set to UTC while the PC clock in the lower right corner is set to local time. My usual mistake in converting time is not with the hour but rather with the day. When logging contacts that are late in the evening I have to remember to advance the DAY in keeping with UTC.

Reactions: 1 person
You can install the clock widget multiple times and change the text that appears in the clock.

w9lrtdesktop.jpg

I have two atomic clocks, one for local time and one for UTC. And my logging software shows the UTC time as well. And I have a web site that I look it up on. :laugh: I had not thought of adding the widgets to my laptop... that's a cool idea.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated