• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UV5r and GMRS

Shadetree Mechanic

Delaware Base Station 808
Oct 23, 2017
The First State (Delaware)
This neat little radio can be had for around $30, and I just picked up a couple to use on GMRS. If you are interested in one for GMRS, the new ones have recently been changed so that they will not go to the GMRS frequencies. There are still plenty of old ones out there, so check the specifications to make sure you know which ones you are getting. I programmed mine for GMRS and marine frequencies for when we go to the beach.

This guy has a ton of GMRS videos.

I have one, and the downfall is that it is a dual band antenna. It would probably work great for the ham frequencies, the stock antenna seems to transmit better. The 771 might receive better, but is clumsy because it is so long. I just stick with the factory one and daydream about putting up a repeater.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Yeah swell I have had 2 of them for years. This is very very old news. Glad you're enjoying them. I'm enjoying mine.

Just found a video about unlocking the new UV5R for GMRS. I don't know what happened to the video in my first post. I hope the forum upgrade didn't wipe it out, that would be disasterous for the old threads.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.