• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UV5r and GMRS

You insinuate that transmitting on GMRS with a regular UV5R is against the law. What law would be broken by this action?

Actually, he did not insinuate anything. He plainly and correctly stated a fact. Whether or not you choose to believe that fact or accept it is entirely moot. You know as well as the rest of us that the UV5R
is not type accepted for use outside the amateur bands.

Actually, he did not insinuate anything. He plainly and correctly stated a fact. Whether or not you choose to believe that fact or accept it is entirely moot. You know as well as the rest of us that the UV5R
is not type accepted for use outside the amateur bands.
Ok, maybe I was confused. Usually "not legal" means that it is against the law. This is just like doing a MARS/CAP mod to an HF rig.

Well the FCC does but who cares about that right? One can choose to use one where it should not be used or have some integrity and do the right thing and don't use it. They make Baofengs that are made for GMRS so buy one of those.

have some integrity and do the right thing and don't use it.
Linears aren't "type accepted" for 11 meter yet there are literally millions of them in use there, we even openly discuss them on this forum.... Same with 10 meter radios converted to 11 meter, they're not "type accepted" but again, there are millions in use on 11 meter and again, we openly discuss them here. If they caused massive issues "outside amateur bands" then I could see the concern but chastising someone for doing something that isn't causing interference to other operators on the band is a bit ridiculous considering the other "violations" that are accepted or tolerated by most.

They are not typed accepted so they are not legal, yes we discuss amps here that are not legal and it's the same thing. The potential for harm exists more with Baofengs than with amps because of the frequency range the older ones cover. Because an "issue" has not happened yet does not mean it won't ever. I would much use amps on 11 meters than use a Baofeng to talk on a public safety frequency. Trying to justify where it's not legal is a sad argument because legal Baofengs are made for GMRS and MURS

They are not typed accepted so they are not legal, yes we discuss amps here that are not legal and it's the same thing. The potential for harm exists more with Baofengs than with amps because of the frequency range the older ones cover. Because an "issue" has not happened yet does not mean it won't ever. I would much use amps on 11 meters than use a Baofeng to talk on a public safety frequency. Trying to justify where it's not legal is a sad argument because legal Baofengs are made for GMRS and MURS
Too funny !

Let's take a deep breath......
Have a drink of cold beverage....

There are thousands of these things on several bands, some really are unaware, it just some walkie talkies Bill the nerd gave us this summer.
Bubble pack FRS radios and GMRS radios were already overlapping and these things were just another walkie talkie to the masses.
If someone is dumb enough to use them on fire/safety frequencies they get what they deserve as far as enforcement.

Jeff

This is a great Moral/Philosophical/Ethical/Legal discussion. We need to keep it civil respecting each other. Let me begin with these two quotes:

For when Gentiles who do not have the law by nature do what the law requires they are a law to themselves even though they do not have the law?

In those days Israel had no king; all the people did whatever seemed right in their own eyes.

When one becomes an amateur radio operator they by default agree to abide by the laws governing that earned/granted license. Same way with driving or even in my mind being a US citizen.

The MARS modification in and of itself is not illegal. Some might argue that the radio has been modified beyond it’s intended purpose and some radios have been modded in that way and are not type FCC approved for those frequencies. I agree that if you get caught by the law or more specifically the agents that have been tasked with enforcing that law you stand convicted/guilty of violating said law.

Yes my IC-7300 has the MARS modification. As soon as I transmit on any frequencies outside the amateur spectrum I have broken the law. Regardless of being caught I have broken the law but no agent of enforcement has been on hand to enforce the penalty. We all know the justifications for doing so…1). Enhanced value of said equipment because I don’t have to purchase other approved equipment to operate on those frequencies. 2). It’s a cleaner signal. 3). It’s a stupid law therefore I won’t comply. 4). Who’s going know. 5). I need that capability in the event of the collapse of society. 6). If they didn’t want us to operate there then why build it into the radio? ad in·fi·ni·tum

What if the FCC suddenly decides these radios can be operated on GRMS/FRMS/MURS. Our discussion become moot.

What’s really interesting about this discussion is those of us who believe it’s a violation of the law are contributing to undermining those laws by… 1). Not reporting it i.e. refusing to be an Agent of enforcement. 2). Doing it ourselves and then justifying it in our own minds. 3). Providing information on how to violate those laws….kinda funny/sad. “You can’t operate that radio on the GRMS/FRS/MURS frequencies but here’s the information you need to do it. 4). Well it’s worst than operating an amplifier on 11 meters because….

No one is perfect and each of us has a distorted/warp/unique perception of what’s right or wrong.

It’s has ALWAYS been this way since the beginning of mankind. One neighbor won’t turn another neighbor in for dealing drugs because if they get put away whose going to take care of the kids or aging parents…but another neighbor says it doesn’t matter they broke the law and I’m calling the appropriate authority.

One person says “bump fire stocks” are legal and another says they’re illegal. In my mind just an opinion mind you while bump fire stocks are fun a person is trying to get as close to machine gun fire as possible legally without the expenditure for procuring the necessary forms/license to own a machine gun.

One lawmaker passionately pushes campaign financing laws while at the same time breaking the very law they’re pushing.

One person has no problem engaging in a relationship with a married person because the marriage has fallen apart, there’s abuse, there’s loneliness, it’s a loveless relationship so what’s the harm?

Examples abound all around us of these incursions of the law and we each make our own case.

Even the law is frustrating. At one point the FCC says FM is not permitted. Then suddenly it is permitted. The law is always trying to refine itself as mankind always finds exceptions to the rule. Then we find ourselves being burdened by the law rather than operating within the quote “Spirit of the Law.”

At one time 70 mph was pretty much a given on interstates, then the law changed to 55 mph and now it’s a mixture.

The same is true for COVID…just read an article stating Lock downs during the first COVID-19 wave in the spring of 2020 only reduced COVID-19 mortality by .2% in the U.S. and Europe, according to a Johns Hopkins University meta-analysis of several studies.

Generally speaking the Law is only temporarily absolute until it changes. Which then opens the discussion are there absolutes in the Law that are eternal rather than this transient ground were standing on?

So I find human nature fascinating and disgusting knowing that only ONE is righteous and perfect. Looking for the day when even myself shall be held accountable…and if that is a falsehood/illusion/pipe dream then I can only be true to myself and hope I’m not deceived into thinking I’m better than someone else.

“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another”.

Brad
KE0XS
South of Pittsburgh

Last edited:
I remember guys who could talk all night about evolution. It's really boring. The Truth about many things is complicated and takes efforts to understand and is often quite dull when discovered.

Bored, so piling on thread with another response 'cause that's what we do here at WWDX ;)
See My Review in the Product Reviews Forum
The UV5R's have been easily bested methinks by the TID Radio H6's. Uses Baofeng software platform so essentially same menu and operation, but significantly better receiver - hears weaker signals that the UV5R won't, does 10 watts and comes with 2 batteries & full accesory package. Same wide-open freq. coverage with no skips. $41 bucks on Amazon. I got 2 of them. So these are a no-brainer over the UV5R's. My 2 older full coverage UV5R's are sitting in a drawer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.