• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VAPING THE NEW SCERGE?

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
If any one's ever owned or purchased a rig that's been smoked around, they know what a mess tobacco causes to a rig.
The build up of tar and niccotean is not only a nasty smelling residue but can spell a short life radio's and there componants.
I was wondering if ccountinuos vaping around your station can cause a radio and it's components to fail or develop problems.
After all vaping is just that.
A liquid being vaporized then exhaled as fine water droplets.
They have to settle somewhere.
I think years of continually vaping around your equipment will inevitably be like sprinkling water over your station
The exhaled vapours will eventually settle in your equipment and after a few years of that I would imagine could cause problems.
If not some total failure. Liquid and precision electronic componants don't make for a very good friendship.
Anyone have any thoughts about vaping around radio gear?

Last edited:

I got a package deal off ebay yrs ago it was a Cobra 89xlr and 2 Uniden 510s all the radios smelled like they came from a heavy smoker smoking right next to the radios. The smell never really went away from these radios made my radio radio kinda smell like I was smoker but I do not.

You make an interesting point Stella. True, its just water but where does it go?

If someone were to deliberately exhale directly into the equipment then that may cause some premature rust and / or aging issues, but who would do that?

My gut says that in normal circumstances - that is, the radio isn't in a room full of Vapers- it would evaporate into the room air.

I refuse to buy any equipment that was owned by a smoker. Way too much of a hassle to clean and there is always a lingering odor.

Oh man I hate the odor!! I lent my kenwood ts140s to to a local friend and when it got back it smelled of smoke so bad I sat it out on our back porch for about 2 weeks before I brought it in. Man I will never loan him another radio because of that!! What a mess it made on the radio ad well. Brownish yellow tar all over the knobs. He was a heavy smoker in the house. I didn't know he smoked liked that or the radio wouldn't have made it there to begin with. As far as the vaporizers go, it's so light a mist it will most likely be gone before it gets into anything like Atlasta stated. I will say this though, straight from my doctor, they don't fully know the effects of long term use of these vaporizers and the chemicals that are in the actual oil that is use. She told me she would rather me smoke a cigarette than one of the vaporizers because of this. Just some food for thought. I tried one and used it for about a week. A very expensive one I will add, and I found it to be a pita to refill the one I had and I still craved a cigarette even after a few good puffs off of the vaporizer I had. And it had settings to get some heavy vapor out of it. Just wasn't the same. Liked the taste and stuff but the refilling got to be too much and so it went into the don't use this drawer. Just my 10 cents worth. Good day.

As long as the relative humidity (the amount of water vapor in the air) in your shack is low, I don't see that "vaping" as you describe it would be a problem. If you're in a small closed room with no windows, maybe yes. But if plenty of air circulates through the room I wouldn't sweat it.

Vaping is not just water. There are other chemicals in that stuff than can condense out on objects. I don't buy anything from a smoker or a vaper. Note: IMHO that is such a stupid term......vaping.

There are some chemicals in it I'm sure wavrider. Could be why my doc said don't use one of them. Not that cigs are any better, just these vapor devices and the oils that are used with them haven't been around long enough to see what any long term use does. Time will tell!!

There are some chemicals in it I'm sure wavrider. Could be why my doc said don't use one of them. Not that cigs are any better, just these vapor devices and the oils that are used with them haven't been around long enough to see what any long term use does. Time will tell!!

It's a foreign substance you are putting inside your lungs. It should be a no-brainer as to what the long term effects are. I mean 50-60 years ago they said cigarettes were not harmful in the slightest right? Now look. Just my opinion mind you. YMMV.

Reactions: 222DBFL
I'm am trying to quit smoking now. I am down to 5-7 cigs a day from a pack a day. I do take meds to help with this, but every day I feel less and less like smoking. Just in the Am now with my coffee, rest of day I don't smoke much if at all. I totally understand the effects and what they do for sure. I hear it every day from my sister who is a nurse!! It's the worst habit I have ever picked up and the hardest one to quit. Don't drink or anything else. Other than my coffee that is. But anyway, I know there are chems in the oils they sell, even the non nicotine type. It's not natural flavoring that is for sure. Either way you look at it one is a replacement for the other unless you quit both!!! JMHO.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.