• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

variable power switch for lights

MUDDOG7375

Apr 6, 2005
A friend & I have this idea for hooking up 2 offroad lights to a car light switch..More specificly to the dash light dimmer part so we can turn down the amps so I can use them as headlights on the trail fallowing someone..My 78 Bronco dosent have any headlights & we thought this would be kind of fun to do..& yes I know this truck wont see any road usage so thats not a prob..

Our prob..We got it all wired but when we dim the lights the metal coil inside the switch for the dimmer glows red & smokes...How can we stop this from happining??...We dont know alot about wiring or electrionics..

What kind of switch would work for this??

Thanks

</p>

A friend & I have this idea for hooking up 2 offroad lights to a car light switch..More specificly to the dash light dimmer part so we can turn down the amps so I can use them as headlights on the trail fallowing someone..My 78 Bronco dosent have any headlights & we thought this would be kind of fun to do..& yes I know this truck wont see any road usage so thats not a prob..

Our prob..We got it all wired but when we dim the lights the metal coil inside the switch for the dimmer glows red & smokes...How can we stop this from happining??...We dont know alot about wiring or electrionics..

What kind of switch would work for this??

Thanks

</p>

Without seeing the specifics on what is going on in this circuite, it sounds like the dimmer can't handle the current you're feeding through it. It might be easier to wire in a custom knob with a pot that can handle the current. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do....just figure out the current draw on those lights and get a pot that can handle it.

</p>

Without seeing the specifics on what is going on in this circuite, it sounds like the dimmer can't handle the current you're feeding through it. It might be easier to wire in a custom knob with a pot that can handle the current. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard to do....just figure out the current draw on those lights and get a pot that can handle it.

</p>

Use an emitter follower circuit, or better yet, a pulse-width modulator. You can control the brightness all the way from off to max, with no smoke signals. I modified an old trolling motor with an emitter follower to get a variable-speed control. Works very well. MAKE SURE you get a transistor rated for at least 1.5 times the max current the light will draw, and mount it to a large heatsink (any good-sized finned chunk of metal will work, in most cases)

emitter-follower.gif

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.