• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vibroplex Needs $$$

Vibroplex
Industry Telegraphy, amateur radio
Headquarters Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Key people
Scott Robbins
Products Morse code keys
Website Vibroplex Co., Inc.
Vibroplex is the brand of side-to-side mechanical, semi-automatic Morse key first manufactured and sold in 1905 by the Vibroplex Company, after its invention and patent by Horace Greeley Martin of New York City in 1904. The original device became known as a "bug", most likely due to the original logo, which showed an "electrified bug". The Vibroplex Company has been in business continuously for 109 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibroplex

Reactions: sunbulls
The aluminum plate does look cheap and I’m sure there have been customer complaints. Their expensive quality line of keys deserves better. I’m just surprised it would cost 5K to make another die, especially considering today’s laser etching technology. It’s not like someone is working with a jewelers lens all day. I’d also be disappointed if the new embossed plate isn’t coin sharp. Again, that’s easily accomplished with a laser made die.
Vibroplex_plate.jpg

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Oh, that's why...now I understand - the BUG...

(yikes)

The sites' own "embossed" version was not very well done - so it needs to have what Sunbulls did and post a side to side comparison - makes A LOT more sense.

It looks like you have one of the early Martin Vibroplex keys made around 1907. Since it was your grandfathers you probably don’t want to sell it, but it is highly collectable and going price on those vary between 50 to a little over 100 dollars depending on condition of course. A collector would tear down, clean and burnish all the parts plus replace anything missing. Vibroplex makes replacement parts including the missing vertical knob on the knife switch. Not all bugs or other keys have that switch, but it’s handy for keying down a transmitter for long periods. I still have my chrome Vibroplex bug that I bought in the 60’s, but it’s only been a memento since I later purchased a keyer. Check the following link if you’re interested in a little history about Martin and your bug.

Horace G. Martin

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.