• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage Antennas

Someone out there motivated me to do something with my “collection”. (More on that later; the day not yet here).

I’ve learned I’d like to be of help in re Radio.. This thing new in my mind and I’m surprised at how obvious it was.

I’ve set aside what I want to use for the (4) different family vehicles . . . and rest looks to be going to new homes with truck drivers I know. I’m the one pushing the story that it’s important to have a good radio rig. Nothing they haven’t heard.

As it comes together (meeting them on road) the next few months will see the “extra radio gear” start to dwindle at my place.

No full system to any one driver, but what I hope are well-chosen pieces to get the thing over the hump. They all already have something. Just not great (with one exception).

Example: some power lines to make. I can make them such that they’re good quality, covered, and ready to use (per truck model). Fused, terminated, screws & zip ties and attachments. Firewall grommets. Etc. Ready to go.

Versus reality of:

Your basic all-in cophase setup with misc and no labor gets to be over $800 real fast.

That Radio isn’t plug & play is a barrier I hope to help hold a ladder against.

These are all guys I talk with regularly. Some make more than me. But all have greater monetary commitments. I’ve told them that if things turn upside down, I’d want to think that Radio got them to a better starting point than without . . . if walking were the only way home.

Some live in Texas. Another in Florida. Yet another in New England. Worked with them all, and benefitted by it. That’d take awhile to list.

Consider (plan) worst; Hope (pray) best.

My pitch is: big truck, home kitchen radio, and the family vehicle. Basics in place. Get used to having it on, and invite others nearby to join.

The Cryptic Cricket video BJRadionut posted awhile back got me to thinking: Heres a really easy home antenna (The 102” Whip Base Station Antenna) and later it could go on the pickup once a dipole was worked out.

Real wealth is people. CB Radio just a little doorbell.

Took an extra three hours after being finished with a San Diego to Dallas run today. Could have been home five hours ago (1400) versus 1900 after a month away from home.

A driver friend had offloaded up north. We both altered our day. Not simple, and not energy easily regained.

Met up at a major truckstop on an Interstate.

Installed a 5’ Firestik on his truck I’d had quite a while. CAIG De-Oxit on that olus coax ends, etc. With 4” spring and HD stud it gets above the trailer now. Talked Install.

We figured out his factory coax was sketchy, so his 6666 Anytone wasn’t the problem.

Sent him off with an Astatic SWR I’d bought recently. A fine man, and I know we’ll get the rest of that system to snuff. He’s in the same brand/model company truck I’ve tried to make work the past two years.

Told him how many feet of coax to bypass the damaged stuff, as well as how to route it. Offered to make him a power cable set (have done that model three times now. I’m just going to make it and carry it with me).

He had a chance to set my drivers seat and try my radio rig. A Marine lifer, he’s funny as hell on air. The Mr-Takes-No-Shit persona I could never hope to emulate and that Hollywood turns one-dimensional. You should hear the QUALITY of the responses he gets!!

That was a prayer answered: On-Air: What has gone wrong WILL get un-fucked. Nothing specific said, but, . . this ol’ boy opened a pathway from one mans heart to another in nothing flat.

The WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER sells itself, as always. He’s happy with stock mike.

— That’s the second start underway with (2) of five drivers.

The first just got a new tractor. Amp & Spkr hopefully soon. 5’ 11’ & 350-lbs. Should probably lose 20 or so. Sez, Wadda I want an amp for? I just open the window and they’ll hear me (Ha!).

Yup.

Last edited:
Careful young man!

" This package is sold by Weight,
Not By Volume.
Some Settling of Contents May have occurred
During Shipping and Handling"

Only 20lbs? He'll get used to it...

All these guys have CB radios. Have had one forever.

So . . .
to hear about CB 2.0 — that an Eleven Meter Radio can do more than we’d realized — finds me sorting my vintage antennas to send them and other gear to a new home.

Belief, in these other men

Citizens, on the Citizens Band.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.