1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Vintage Antennas

Discussion in 'Announcements & Open Forum' started by RT431, Jul 13, 2020.

1. RT431

RT431 In the swamp

Saw these hanging on the wall at my buddy's shop. Remember these?

IMG_20200713_095831885.jpg

2. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

OMG ! Don't let BFuzz see those Hustlers ! He's got a plan ! Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

3. mrgumby

mrgumby W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Hustler still makes Cb antennas just like that. I run one of the work truck.

4. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

5. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

First one I ever had. Trunk mount.

G GOLLY WAlly and 357magnum like this.
  6. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

I had some of those they were called double talks...

7. 357magnum

357magnum Sr. Member

Same here Slo & Same mount , Great Antenna , actually changed to a Mirror Mount on my Truck , but never worked as (imo) as it did trunk mounted & being a Member of WWDX , I know why now . :whistle::D Stay Healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

G GOLLY WAlly likes this.
  8. Tallman

Tallman W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Never had a Hustler antenna.

9. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Easiest tuning ever. I walked over to another guys car trunk mount and used hands to guesstimate his resonator placement.

Did mine same way.

We doan need no stinkin’ meters.

357magnum and G GOLLY WAlly like this.
  10. groundwire

groundwire Well-Known Member

Back when 25w was worldwide

11. G GOLLY WAlly

G GOLLY WAlly WDX 719. Waldo on AM

Daddy bought one of those back in 1976, and a 23ch Jc Penny, pinto. I still have the 23ch Pinto, don't know where the little hustler antenna got off to

12. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

What I had. Radio Se-Bee a la Jacques Penney!

357magnum and G GOLLY WAlly like this.
  13. undertaker

undertaker Undertaker

I just bought the old Hustler HQD antenna from Wallcotts cb shop. Slow mover knows about my antenna fetish!!! Use to have some back in the 70's ...

14. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Someone out there motivated me to do something with my “collection”. (More on that later; the day not yet here).

I’ve learned I’d like to be of help in re Radio.. This thing new in my mind and I’m surprised at how obvious it was.

I’ve set aside what I want to use for the (4) different family vehicles . . . and rest looks to be going to new homes with truck drivers I know. I’m the one pushing the story that it’s important to have a good radio rig. Nothing they haven’t heard.

As it comes together (meeting them on road) the next few months will see the “extra radio gear” start to dwindle at my place.

No full system to any one driver, but what I hope are well-chosen pieces to get the thing over the hump. They all already have something. Just not great (with one exception).

Example: some power lines to make. I can make them such that they’re good quality, covered, and ready to use (per truck model). Fused, terminated, screws & zip ties and attachments. Firewall grommets. Etc. Ready to go.

Versus reality of:

Your basic all-in cophase setup with misc and no labor gets to be over $800 real fast.

That Radio isn’t plug & play is a barrier I hope to help hold a ladder against.

These are all guys I talk with regularly. Some make more than me. But all have greater monetary commitments. I’ve told them that if things turn upside down, I’d want to think that Radio got them to a better starting point than without . . . if walking were the only way home.

Some live in Texas. Another in Florida. Yet another in New England. Worked with them all, and benefitted by it. That’d take awhile to list.

Consider (plan) worst; Hope (pray) best.

My pitch is: big truck, home kitchen radio, and the family vehicle. Basics in place. Get used to having it on, and invite others nearby to join.

The Cryptic Cricket video BJRadionut posted awhile back got me to thinking: Heres a really easy home antenna (The 102” Whip Base Station Antenna) and later it could go on the pickup once a dipole was worked out.

Real wealth is people. CB Radio just a little doorbell.

#14 Slowmover, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  15. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

10CBF8BA-3A99-42EC-90B6-30FC79D50A8C.jpeg

I was at Walcott Radio a month or so back. They had a rack of 102’ for about $20. I’m grabbing 5 or 6 next time I have that opportunity.

To tie it back to vintage antennas, EVERYONE understands about the quarter-wave whip from way way back.

And may not have ever upped their knowledge of how to use ANY antenna.

#15 Slowmover, Jul 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2020